Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi there: does anyone remeber a SAB/HN from the MDA about the use of extension leads for Patient Connected Equipment. I seem to remember they were frowning on this practice. Any help would appreciated as I am getting earache from Staff who wish to use them.

Roy Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
Yes, there was some advice from the MDA about using extension leads. It was quite a while ago and I can't remember the details, but try the MDA Web site - or quicker still, give them a ring !

Our electricians will not supply any extension leads for theatres, ICU, HDU, or anywhere there is a risk of liquid being spilt onto the sockets.
We have been working with a local engineering firm who have produced a small stainless steel "pod" on castors with double 13 Amp sockets mounted on the vertical sides and protected from spillages by an overhanging top. They intend to market this in the very near future, so if you would like me to get them to contact you, send me an e-mail giving your telephone number.(and your name etc ofcourse !)
It is CE marked, by the way.

Today is the day you worried about yesterday - and all is well !
Hero
Hero
Roy
How much do they charge?

Be Proactive and reactive.
You might like to look at BS EN 60601-1-1:2001
'Safety requirements for medical electrical systems'or you might not

Roy Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
John - I'll ask the guy to phone you and you can discuss your requirements !

Jon. Surely any requirements would have to be met to achieve the CE mark ? It's not our design - we've just suggested some refinements !

We have been supplying 'ELD' extension leads to our users for very many years. They are robust multiway extension leads incorporating an earth leakage monitoring circuit. The circuit alarms if more than 500 microamps flow through the earth wire.
The demand for them is very high...

We have been unable to find a commercial partner over the years though several companies have expressed interest.

Mark

Roy Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
I'll ask our chap to contact you ! There's plenty of room in the stainless steel box to b uild in an alarm circuit. What a good idea ! :p

KM Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
I RECENTLY HAD A DISCUSSION WITH RICHARD MELLISH @MDA ON THIS SUBJECT.
HE AGREED THAT AD HOC COMBINATIONS OF ASSEMBLIES CONNECTED BY USERS WITHOUT REGARD FOR THE TOTAL LOADINGS, LEAKAGE CURRENTS ETC MAY NOT PROVIDE AN ACCEPTABLE LEVEL OF SAFETY TO A PATIENT CONNECTED TO THE DEVICE / DEVICES.
OBVIOUSLY BOTH WE (EBME) AND THEY (MDA) HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT ANY AIDING AND ABETTING IN ANY SUCH SETUPS JUST IN CASE OF PATIENT / STAFF INJURY.
AGAIN HE SUGGESTED THAT THE RELEVANT STANDARDS ALREADY MENTIONED NEED TO BE REFERRED rolleyes

Roy Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
Mark - if you haven't received an e-mail from me (sent 7th Oct) regarding the extension leads & alarm circuit, please can you contact me.

Sage
Sage
Karl, sweet ostentation my friend, your technical offerings are simply, ostentatiously first class my friend. Gentleman, listen to Mr. Mundys heralding's, I think you'll find that when you integrate a number of systems onto a single “Spur” i.e. in this case a single routed mains extension, this then becomes “one complete system” and must be tested as such, hmm sum up these leakages and as Karl says they may well exceed the limits. Ostentation my dear Karl, ostentation.
cool

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
كيف الآن يحمّر البقرة
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 387 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,064
Posts73,741
Members10,180
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020