Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34623 - 28/10/08 10:31 AM VBM Manujet III
TonyR Offline
Expert

Loc: West Africa, ex Wales, UK
Can anyone help me with this manual JET ventilator? Some helpful anaesthetist took one apart as it didn't seem to be working properly! Guess what, it doesn't work at all now!

Two questions:

1) Do you have a drawing, or can you describe how the pressure regulator parts fit together, especially the fibre sealing rings.

2) What is the minimium supply pressure (O2) needed?

Thanks!

Philips
#34651 - 31/10/08 12:00 PM Re: VBM Manujet III [Re: TonyR]
TonyR Offline
Expert

Has anyone got access to one of these???..Please????

I think one part is missing as any way I try to assemble it there looks to be a bit missing, but I don't know!

If anyone could take a photo or describe the order of the 5 or so parts in the (simple) regulator that would really help!!

Thanks!

#34681 - 03/11/08 08:45 AM Re: VBM Manujet III [Re: TonyR]
RoJo Offline

Hero

Loc: Permenantly in "The Smoke"
Tony
Dare I ask... Have you tried contacting VBM directly?
http://www.vbm-medical.de/cms/98-1-jet-ventilation.html

Robert

#34683 - 03/11/08 09:12 AM Re: VBM Manujet III [Re: RoJo]
TonyR Offline
Expert

You may dare!!! Yes, I've tried the US office, and they had apparently never taken one apart themselves (maybe they should employ anaesthetists)!!! They said that they had passed on my request to the HQ in Germany, but I haven't heard anything yet.

It's very annoying, because the thing is really not rocket science, it's just that I've never opened up the regulator before so I am not certain of exactly what parts are inside...but it seems to me that it cannot work with the parts I found!!!

Thanks for your reply.

#34692 - 04/11/08 09:29 AM Re: VBM Manujet III [Re: TonyR]
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero

Loc: the path less trodden

Donated kit? Your anaesthetist was probably right ... it most likely wasn't working correctly in the first place. Yet another example to support my oft-stated assertion that kit needs to be properly checked-out before being "sent out".

You're dead right, Tony. Rocket science it ain't! frown

#34694 - 04/11/08 10:23 AM Re: VBM Manujet III [Re: Geoff Hannis]
TonyR Offline
Expert

Hi Geoff,

I have finally got some very helpful info back from VBM US. Someone took one apart, and sent me photos of how it all fits together. As I suspected, I was doing it right, but there was a part missing...a spring!

I am now asking very nicely if they could just send me said spring, or if we will need to go through the whole process of ordering a complete regulator...any bets on what will happen?!

#34695 - 04/11/08 10:26 AM Re: VBM Manujet III [Re: TonyR]
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero

Actually, I was wondering if it was the spring (which was missing) - any regulator must have one, after all - ... but then I thought, "surely not"! So, where is it then, in the anaesthetist's pocket ... or was I right about it being junk from the beginning? frown

Solution: find a suitable spring, and cut it to length.

#34696 - 04/11/08 11:04 AM Re: VBM Manujet III [Re: Geoff Hannis]
TonyR Offline
Expert

..I think the spring has probably been swept up, binned, and ended up on a rubbish tip by now. My detective work indicates that my favourite gasman turned the knurled ring underneath the pressure adjustment knob (which holds the two halves together) As the thing was pressurised, it blew apart, and not quite all the parts were found! Alternatively, the spring was not there at all, as you suggest Geoff.

Now then, where's my box of springs! At least here I can apply 'professional judgement & common sense' and not have to be thinking 'is this a modification' etc within (in my opinion) the UK/EU now over-regulated environment! boggle

#34698 - 04/11/08 11:24 AM Re: VBM Manujet III [Re: TonyR]
Geoff Hannis Offline
Super Hero

Exactly! If all else fails, no doubt you'll find a suitable spring in the box of junked regulators (of all types) that you've been hoarding for just such an eventuality as this! Remember the undeniable rule that "pressure is pressure", so such springs are likely to be very similar in "performance". Good luck. smile

PS: sounds like there's a bit of training needed there with your theatre staff. Along the lines of:- when sweeping up, always place to one side any items found like nuts, washers, springs, screws, lenses and the like. Don't bin springs!

Moderator:  DaveC in Oz, KM, Muneeb, RoJo 
Who's Online
5 registered (Nadeem, Sakash92, Rallium, Huw, torogi), 369 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Events
2014 Scottish 'Completing the picture'.
National Biomedical & Clinical Engineering Conf.
October
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
7949 Members
28 Forums
9184 Topics
64733 Posts