Right on Geoff..
Any equipment we receive has to be clean enough for patient use. Can't say we've ever had a problem with this, maybe once or twice we've sent something back.
I just love the idea of allowing staff to graffiti equipment with their thoughts and feelings with marker pens.. I assume they would always know which pen was water soluble and which was indelible!!
My favourite is a Genius thermometer with a 'low battery message' on the screen which has subsequently been covered with an (adhesive dried and set) sticky white label upon which is written 'low battery' ...TOO MUCH!! We send them back or invite the staff down to remove the label themselves!