Roy,

I think the point of the original "two-tier" application to the HPC was to allow for a vocational entry route and academic entry route into the profession and allow both Degree and vocational qualified individuals routes to registration. However it seems that the HPC wants a consistent level of entry i.e. for Engineering Technologists to be at the same academic-level as the Science Technologists. My view, reading between the lines is that level for technologists will have to be pitched at Degree I think.

Quote:
A number of tough decisions will need to be made soon which could have repercussions for the future development of the profession especially with regard to minimum acceptable qualifications.
The statement above gives me the impression that this might be the case. I cannot see the HPC allowing Engineering and Physics Technologists to be included on a state register after the VRCT panel has already argued successfully that the appropriate Physics Technologists entry level is Degree. Plus the fact that most, if not all, of the other healthcare professions have Degree entry into the profession.

If the VRCT panel does not accept and argue to the HPC that Engineering Technologists enter at this level then I would not be surprised if Engineering Technologists lose the chance of becoming state registered professionals at all. i.e. Engineeering Technolgists as a group may be excluded from the register because the entry level is not pitched high enough.

If this happens then, in the future, equipment maintenance in the NHS, as we know it, may only exist in Medical Physics Departments that have Physics Technologists carrying out equipment maintenance as state registered professionals - allowed to perform the full range of duties and tasks in clincal areas unsupervised. Wheras the Engineering Technologists of the future might have more limited roles that are not regulated.

I suspect this is why there are two sets of profiles in AfC for 'Medical Engineering Technicians' and 'Medical Physics Technicians'. Both groups with very similar job-roles and almost identical scoring for AfC matching but I suspect one group may be state registered in the future (Physics Technologists) and the others not (Engineering Technologists), with salaries and AfC grades commensurate. Of course I hope I'm wrong.