Rojo's right in my view. Not all departments are big enough to support the demands of structured training or provision of adequate supervision to trainees or supernumeraries full-time. Plus there may not be the knowledge-base and skills mix of individuals on-site to give that training and support whilst trying to keep the on-site EBME or Medical Physics services ticking over.

I think structured training can only be provided for all entrants to the same standards, nationally, if accredited centres, located around the country at sites that can support on the job training and continuing professional development are used.

Until then managers in Medical Physics or EBME will always face the dilemma between balancing the manpower and other available resources available to keep the services going and the need to train technicians. The situation we are in now I think.

However, in the future because of regulation, we might not have the flexibility of employing low grades, calling them 'trainees' or to employ 'less than ideally qualified individuals' on working grades that don't reflect their initial value and receive on-the-job training that varies considerably from department to department.

It seems to me, that the workforce is in it's current state because many Trusts have not and do not want to invest in skilled NHS personnel who are employed in a job-role that's in demand like we're told ours is. Those who might be lost as soon as they're trained; to other Trusts prepared to 'dangle a carrot'.

The infrastructure is there in Regional Medical Physics Departments, to some extent, for the Clinical Scientists training and I suppose this could be expanded to Clinical Technologist training. Whether trianing facilities like these will be extended to 'cover' EBME services or made available to them or not I don't know.

I'm still of the opinion that EBME engineers may face a different training and possibly career path than those employed in Medical Physics. Hence my concerns about the original HPC application for regulation that initially divided 'Physics' and 'Engineering' and did not include any reference to 'life-sciences' qualified individuals at all; as far as I'm aware.