To summarise :- in the UK, follow DB 9801 Supplement 1 in the same way as we did with HEI 95 (ie, exactly as laid down during acceptance checking, and as a basis for developing our own rationale for routine testing). Apart from a couple of snafus, by and large DB 9801 Supplement 1 is a sensible, practical document. And it was issued by an executive agency of the Department of Health, so how can you ever be criticised for following it (for those of you apparently over-concerned about litigation)?

Electrical safety testing should be carried out on medical electrical equipment 1) During acceptance testing 2) During routine PM and 3) After repairs have been carried out. This is as it’s always been, and I see no reason to deviate from that policy. Of course, we could add 4) When a loan etc. equipment is brought in for testing prior to use.

To go back to Sen’s original post, my advice would be to carry out EST as listed above, following whatever “highest international standard” you are required to adhere to. ECRI in your case, then. And there’s nothing wrong with those, in my opinion (in fact, many seasoned biomed veterans regard them as the best – certainly the most comprehensive - available). So you would need to carry out EST at each and every I/PM (minor and major, if my memory serves me well).

Please ask anybody at your end who disagrees to come forward and present his arguments right here. Whatever they may be, they would either be flawed – or else all that I have believed in for the last 30 years was wrong instead. What a terrible thought! frown

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.