I'm impressed but not that impressed. See any safety-critical device batteries there Geoff - defibrillators and suchlike? Good link but I'd still make sure I was getting like for like - makes sense given that NHS purchasing won't be fitting or using the batteries.

Is NHS purchasing advertising or recommending? When I get into work later in the week I shall contact them and MHRA and ask which it is. If NHS purchasing is recommending then perhaps this means we don't need to purchase from the manufacturer at all and that some policy has actually been agreed across the NHS.

As an aside on the website at the bottom of the page it states:
Quote:
nhspurchasing is an electronic procurement channel which is completely independent.

What are they independent of I wonder? I guess they're just putting together business links without a clue what's going on...policy? I doubt it's anything that organised.

10 products or thereabouts listed - 2 smart pack types NimH? the other 5 smart Li-Ion packs? Not sure about the other 2 types, probably NimH for the MPS? All appear to be American manufactured "legacy" products of a few years old.

I wonder if the battery manufacturer can give the information that's required, as recommended? Not that I don't trust NHS supplies or PASA rolleyes it's my nature to be cautious. We could ask Inspired Energy the battery manufacturer in the US perhaps.

Especially as there's plenty of stuff in NHS logistics catalogue that when I've enquired of the manufacturer it's not intended for clinical professional use, e.g. pen-type thermometers, battery operated NBP monitors, etc, because of calibration issues and inability to service/decontaminate/sterilize.

PS John & Geoff:

Got this extract from the Inspired Energy battery manufacturer website - STANDARD CONDITIONS OF SALE OF INSPIRED ENERGY,INC. ("Company")

Quote:
10. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNITIES
Unless otherwise agreed in writing by a duly authorized Company representative, products sold hereunder are not intended for use in connection with any nuclear facility or activity, military application or medical device (as defined by the Food and Drug Administration). If so used and any damage, injury of contamination occurs, the Company disclaims any responsibility of every kind, and Purchaser shall indemnify the Company from any such damage, injury or contamination whatsoever arising out of any such use, including such damage, injury or contamination arising out of the Company's negligence. The Company also disclaims any responsibility and Purchaser shall indemnify the Company from any and all liability of any loss or damage or judgment whatever arising out of any unauthorized modification or adaptation of the product sold hereunder and the installation of any device, instrument or equipment or part thereof in or on the products sold hereunder, the use or combination of which has not been proven. In no event, whether as a result of breach of contract, warranty or tort (including negligence), shall the Company or its suppliers be liable or any consequential or incidental damages, including but not limited to loss of profit or revenues, loss of use of the products or any associated equipment, damage to associated equipment, cost of capital, cost of substitute products, facilities, service or replacement power, downtime costs, or claims of Purchaser's customers, for such damages.If Purchaser transfers title to or leases the products sold hereunder to any third party, Purchaser shall obtain from such third party a provision affording the Company and its suppliers the protection of the preceding sentence.Except as provided in the article entitled "Patents" the Company's liability on any claim of any kind (including negligence) for any loss or damage arising out of, or resulting from this agreement, or from the performance or breach thereof, or from the products or services furnished hereunder, shall in no case exceed the price of the specific product which gives rise to the claim. Except as to title, any such liability shall terminate upon the expiration of the warranty period specified under heading, "Warranties." If the Company, without separate compensation therefore, furnishes Purchaser with advice or other assistance concerning any product supplied hereunder or any system or equipment in which any such product may be installed which is not required pursuant to this agreement, the furnishing of such advice or assistance will not subject the Company to any liability, whether in contract, warranty, tort (including negligence) or otherwise. Each of the foregoing paragraphs in this article will apply to the full extent permitted by law. The invalidity, in whole or part, of any paragraph will not affect the remainder of such paragraph or any other paragraph.

Worrying that the company that makes these batteries dosn't accept any liability if they're used in medical devices in the USA, at least. Can't blame them in these litigious times I suppose.

But hang-on, just had a thought, don't they supply Moltech Power Systems in the UK with this range of batteries? Or does Moltech Power Systems also manufacture in the EU?

I wonder if there are similar conditions of sale in the EU? If not, why not, if they're not for use in medical devices, without special authorisation, in the USA? Does this mean different specification batteries or just different laws?

In the USA they don't appear to be intended for use in medical devices according the the conditions of sale. Wonder what's different in the EU?

Perhaps I should contact the MHRA and ask them to see what Moltech Power Systems standard conditions of sale are when selling-on or manufacturing the Inspired Energy range of batteries for medical applications, eh?