Originally Posted By: Jason G
Hi Das,

whats rubbish? capital/revenue? managment needing justification to employ more staff? can you explain please

Where do you get usage figures from? I honestly dont know.

Because a pump goes to a ward it doesn't mean it is in use permently. It just means its there. the ward may be storing it because they consider that there might be a shortfall in available equipement. If every ward is doing the same, surely your figures would then be in-correct, unless you walk the entire site every day checking to ensure all the assets are in use, oh and where you originally left them of course.

Do you have something that helps with this? to be honest this is not being pedantic, I am trying to understand the various processes.

As I have said, this type of technology may not be right for all, however dont shy away from it unless you have something thats concrete and have no problems with asset management and you have the right quantity of kit in the rights places accrodingly.

when I talk about usage btw, its not how many hours a IV pump for instance was in use, its more about ensuring that the IV pump is required at that location for that period of time. But you need to put the right process in place to manage it.

thanks for you comments

What's rubbish was your scenario 1.
I've no problem with justification etc.
As to equipment libraries and equipment going to a ward it's down to how the library is set up and managed. Last one I was involved with required the user to request a pump for a patient for a day. Only areas with own stock on hand were ICU & CCU. And yes we could work out the actual usage as pumps in question had a motor hour counter in the service menu, so was a simple task to take those hours & convert to a usage figure. Usage ranged from over 50% for ICU to under 1% for some wards. This was one of the reasons for setting up an equipment library. Some fairly hefty savings have been made on infusion pumps alone.

As for the technology. I love technology. Just in the right place though. I don't see much use for RFID for asset management. I refer you to Geoff's posts. I did look into it a while back and the expense far outweighed any possible advantages.

Never under-estimate the predictability of stupidity