Would you be able to direct me to a link, please, where I can read a bit more about these DOH proposals? I've heard they want to call us Healthcare Scientists, but Science Practitioner is new to me. I agree with Geoff, by the way, regarding the blurring of distinctions between engineers, scientists and technicians.

Originally Posted By: Paul Allum
It's not really important whether you consider yourself a healthcare scientist, the issue is what the DOH considers you to be; and if you work in EBME or any similar discipline then you'll be amongst the ranks of Healthcare scientists. This almost certainly means you will be required to register as a "Healthcare Science Practitioner" if you are band 5 or 6 (possibly 7) or as a "Healthcare Scientist" if on a higher grade.
There are quite a few good points to the HCS proposals (training and funding for it) but there are also bad points like no direct transfer route from practitioner to scientist meaning good practitioners that want to progress have to leave the post they're in to go on a three year (paid) training scheme that may result in a new job the other end of the country.

Personally I consider myself as a healthcare scientist because it pays more laugh