For those who may be interested (?) ... smile

I've recently got hold of a Torch Z80 Disc Pack (a twin 5.25" floppy unit) that is even older than the one I bought new (but long gone now, unfortunately) back in 1984. For those who remember this excellent old kit, it typically ran off a BBC Micro with a special Z80 board (running at 4 MHz) installed. This board also holds the Torch MCP ROM, and 64 K of RAM. Essentially, the 2 MHz 6502 processor in the Beeb simply handled all the peripherals and I/O devices, leaving nearly 63 K (that's a lot, in BBC Micro terms, of course) available for running programs.

Those Torch guys were very clever people. Their CCCP (no, from Cambridge, England ... not the USSR) ROM sits in the Beeb. And Torch had their own clone of CP/M known as CPN! This enabled us to play with some of the "state of the art" software of that era.

So, imagine my joy when, going through some of the dusty old disks, I came across (and, more importantly, was able to run):-

Copyright (C) 1982 RSP Inc.

*** dBASE II Ver 2.4 1 April, 1983

... yes, dBASE II (and pre-dating Ashton-Tate, by the look of it). There never was a dBASE I, of course, but I've seen (and had a go with) all the others since dBASE 3. But never (until yesterday, that is) the original! All the basic dBASE commands are there, straight off the "dot" prompt, in much the same form as they continue to the present day. It always amazes me how "right" those early coders got things! Present day coders are simply "standing on the shoulders of giants", as the saying goes.

Pictures may follow at some stage!

By the way, WordStar 3.0 (from 1981) was on there too. But I must admit I was never a great fan of that one.

CCCP : Cambridge Console Command Processor!
C/PM : Gary Kildall's famous operating system (on which many of the MS-DOS commands were based). Gary was a Genius Guy who died young.
CPN : the "next one on" from CPM? That is, CPM+ in modern parlance?
MCP : Master Control Program (of course).

... and, something else for the dBASE aficionado:- it seems that dBASE II used a .cmd extension to program files source files, rather than the more familiar .prg that came later ... in their millions! And there is no COMPILE command, of course (that didn't come along until nine years later when dBASE IV first saw the light of day).

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.