The "fun" went out of working in the Kingdom very soon after the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Angus.

But I'm thinking about (remembering) travelling around "remote" areas, rather than living in "expat compounds".

Things got a bit "hair raising" on a number of occasions. frown

Some years ago, thinking (hoping) that things might have quietened down a bit later on, I had a couple of goes at trying to get back out there. But things did not proceed in my favour; I wrote those abortive efforts off to "Fate". A few times in my life I have found that sometimes you just can't force things to turn out as you might have hoped. And at least in the UK (so far) I haven't had gangs of youths throwing rocks at me ... etc., etc. (or even - shot at, as happened to me once whilst jogging home across the desert - the guy did it in "fun", or so I imagine; packs of feral dogs were also a problem where I was at that time, too). whistle

Were you in Khobar at the time of the 1996 bombing, Angus? That was a big bang! For a moment there I thought I was back in Northern Ireland. But are you still in Tripoli? Surely that must be a bit "fun", too?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.