Simple instruments such as auriscopes (otoscopes) and ophthalmoscopes? Yes; they should be checked (but as a low priority if time is tight):- smooth operation of the rheostat, good battery connections (and replace batteries if need be), condition of "head".

I know that things have moved on a bit now, with larger inventories, and so forth, but when I was a hospital biomed I always wanted to check everything - even the non-biomed kit. Prevention is better than cure. I was always a bit miffed if something cropped up (an equipment failure, or a user complaint) that we didn't already "know" about.

Or are you asking about non-powered items ... as in do they come under 60601-1?

In this case, and in general, I would answer "No" (as they don't fall under "electrical safety"); however many non-powered items should still come within the catchment for PM. Each item should be assessed according to its complexity, and against any risk it may present to patients (especially if and when it fails).

For example:- patient hoists, medical air regulators (and flowmeters), anaesthesia machines (especially the old-fashioned type), gas-powered resuscitators ... and many more.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.