Imagine my joy a few years ago when I found a .pdf copy of "Shephard, Morton and Spence" on line.

But, regarding "Do I really need to know this.....?" my immediate reply is generally "Do you really need to know anything?" ... and if that sort of attitude persists, then such students would receive "words of advice" if they hoped to avoid failing the course.

Anyway ... that's what exams are for; to sort the wheat from the chaff. Or does "everyone get a prize" at Falfield these days?

Meanwhile, it's good that you've brought this up, as I have been wondering how you go about teaching the biomed course(s), especially bearing in mind the (short) length of the Falfield courses (the same maybe said about the other well-known training providers, by the way).

Also, as I suspect you have recent teaching experience with REME ... how do they go about teaching the medical and dental course these days? Using "block diagrams" I suspect (and indeed, hope)?

In short ... what does today's aspiring biomed tech need to know? No doubt many of us of the Old School have experienced those "technical moments" that you allude to. "Back to First Principles". In my own case such have been in places far away from any kind of "support" (back-up, or what-have-you). But I suspect that even those desert clinics and such like have access to the internet now.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.