Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
#20330 06/11/02 8:40 AM
Expert
Expert
When accepting equipment do you receive a decontamination certificate? Do you get one for every piece of kit you get for repair?

Time is of the essence. Don't abuse it. Just make the most of it.
#20331 06/11/02 2:56 PM
Mark.N Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
We had label designed, with an input from the ward staff, that should be attached to every piece of equipment that is sent to our dept'..hhmmm.
The layout and wording of this label was kept as simple as posssible..to prevent confusion..ahh.
Information that we require is; date/time, asset no., location, contact name/tel, fault description, accesserories and also nature of contamination/method of decontamination..simple. In fact, some may call the design 'idiot proof'.

What else can one do. Perhaps we should have used a bigger font for the words. We even had a 'how to complete this label' form printed and laminated for each ward/area.

All I can say is, it don't blo#dy work!!

cheers

#20332 06/11/02 4:41 PM
Sage
Sage
We have a very similar procedure to yours Mark.N containing the same information as well as a reference number and space for logging the work order number from the computerised system.

It also contains a tear off portion so we can report back to them and let it "tally up" with their records. laugh

These records are contained in a pad, one of which is supplied to every user, including P.C.T's and health centres we deal with. laugh

We also took that extra step you mentioned Mark and provided all wards/departments/clinics etc. etc. with a laminated "idiots guide" laugh laugh

Still we get equipment without the paperwork, no decontamination declaration, 5 pieces of kit on one sheet etc. mad

As John said with their place, we too raise incident forms and try and "shame" the likes of Ward Managers and Control of Infection teams.

Still we have to deal with incorrect paperwork, the excuse that "we're too busy and haven't got time to fill it in" is often stated. frown

We have got to a stage now where we are considering changing our system of fault reporting/decontamination sheets to try to improve the poorly adhered to guidelines.

May I add that we also supplement our decontamination process by providing to all users a seperate "External Decontamination Certificate" book for items leaving the Trust.

Why worry, Be happy!
#20333 06/11/02 7:32 PM
Mark.N Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
We have now been told not to accept anything that isn't visibly clean..quite right too.
Yes, we've been at fault for accepting kit that has been cleaned. We've played the 'nice cop, bad cop' routine with our 'colleagues'.
When we start to enforce this 'Trust Policy' we're going to be labelled as nit-pickers, job-worths etc..
It's going to be our fault when their equipment doesn't get repaired as quickly as they would like. The Equipment Library is going to grind to a halt - no equipment for loan, because it's all out on the wards dirty and awaiting collection.

Watch this space..

cheers

#20334 07/11/02 2:03 PM
Max Offline
Savant
Savant
The idea of getting staff to complete a piece of paper to state what is wrong with the item in question or to inform on how it was cleaned is a non starter and not worth the paper it is written on. Modern systems are meant to be paperless and thereby more efficient. It will only be through training and communication that clean equipments will be returned to the department with information relating to the fault. If you doubt the cleanliness of an equipment do not accept it. Through time, effort and perserverence staff will learn what is required before an equipment will be accepted into the department. smile

#20335 07/11/02 3:02 PM
Mark.N Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
Max, you're quite right... rolleyes

cheers

#20336 07/11/02 3:32 PM
Sage
Sage
Just wondering Max what you do with equipment that has to go outside your Trust to other hospitals or O.E.M's.

Do they take your word for it that it is decontaminated and has not been in contact with a hazadous substance. eek

If they do, then please let me know because we have to ship equipment with a Declaration of Decontamination Certificate.

As to a paperless system, yes I think that would be ideal too, if your fault reporting and general administration is totally paperless, I take my hat off to you. cool

I too, like the marvels of the technological age but still feel safe knowing that I can refer too the "written word" when the systems crash. confused

As for staff doing what is required of them and showing due diligence through training, education and instruction etc I can only presume your nursing staff are of a higher calibre because the words "the lights are on but no-one is at home" comes to mind with our lot. eek

I'm sure now I'll be vilified by the hordes of the nursing profession that read these pages, alls I would say is don't tell me - tell your colleagues. mad

Why worry, Be happy!
#20337 07/11/02 4:06 PM
Master
Master
I agree with Max.

Fellow MTO's, etc, please use the correct terminology.

To often I hear use of the word 'Decontamination', it is not.

It is a Certificate of Contamination Status.

They do not claim decontamination, as you are all implying.

They may not have been able to decontaminate the medical device, for what ever reason, therefore you should be informed of the risks, that's what it comes down to and what precautions to take.

If the medical device and/or accompanying certificate are vague in appearance, treat the device with caution and the certificate with contempt. Further, disregard what they tell you and adopt all the necessary precautions, always, as if all devices were contaminated.

That is the regime we operate in our department, gloves, masks, aprons, cleaning and disinfecting materials. We do the best we can to protect ourselves from false claims. I do not want my staff putting themselves, colleagues or family and friends at risks, we all have a duty of care here. If in doubt, incinerate it. Get infection control to take swabs, etc, etc.

Equipment from suppliers and returned to suppliers must be accompanied with the a Certificate of Contamination Status too. You should not be allowing medical devices into your Trust without such a certificate from suppliers, whether it be for trial, loan, evaluation, etc.

Likewise you should or end user, supplier the supplier with a certifcate on return to them of the medical device. Do you all, I doubt if many do, not impressive.

Like John S. we on-line complete a Clinical Risk Form for incidents of gross negligence, such as incorrect or false, etc., completed Certificates of Contamination Status.

If my staff accept anything less than correct I am personally liable for putting them at risk and rightly so too, again I have a duty of care. If there is a problem chaps sort it at the right level, don't just moan about it.

What is it?

Be proactive not reactive.

Remember, it is NOT a Decontamination Certificate, so do not use the phrase, it does not exist.

Jim Gavin
#20338 07/11/02 5:12 PM
Sage
Sage
Jim

What do you agree with Max on, that staff should be correctly vigilant in their cleaning of equipment or that we shouldn't require any "hard copy". confused

You are, of course, absolutely right it is a Declaration of Contamination, however, it doesn't help me when I have a stack of "Certificate of Decontamination Status" books already printed up and in use.

I could always adopt the approach of Billy "Liar" when dealing with the "Shadrack and Duxbury" calendars but I don't think the drainage system will take it. confused confused

The issue is not wether they declare it's contamination status or state it has been decontaminated it's that the bug**rs just don't do it.

I applaud the fact that your guys are well "suited-up" but do you do this at the point of collection or is the poor old porter left to cart it to your place and "suffer the consequences" later.

We require the status of all equipment being brought onto our sites to have their "contamination" status confirmed wether for loan/trial or demo.

We are treated with utter devastation by some reps who say " we've never had to do this before"
and yes sometimes it does slow the process up but I feel happier knowing we've done things the proper way.
I'm well use to consultants jumping up and down anyway. rolleyes

We provide "Certificates" for items that leave this department wether for Transfer or going to another O.E.M.
All users have the same "Certificate" book and should, according to Trust policy, do the same when they let stuff off their ward/department.

We raise incidents on non-conformity to Trust policy but unfortunately this is done on that dredded paper stuff, I think your electronic format is a better idea and I'll raise it with our IT dept.

Just be interested to know what you get incinerated, leads?, pumps?, etc if contaminated.
You've had a few staff through your doors since I've known you Jim, I always thought you trained them up and they moved on to "pastures new", didn't realise you had them "torched" if their swabs came back positive. frown

Why worry, Be happy!
#20339 08/11/02 1:32 PM
Adept
Adept
Is anybody running a decontamination certification procedure that works in practice? If so I would be interested in your experienced comments, and copies of policies and procedures etc (Please).

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 426 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,064
Posts73,741
Members10,180
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020