Sage
OP Offline
Sage
As per Bob, please frown

cheers

#20341 10/11/02 1:42 AM
Scholar
Scholar
It seems that (some)nurses arent even aware of the concept of cross contamination, I think that any equipment that is 'suspect' the equipment should be left on the wards until its cleaned and let the ward managers know.

Two heads are better than one... well sometimes..
#20342 11/11/02 8:32 AM
Mark.N Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
Huw.E
Alot of the nursing staff don't seem to see unclean equipment as a health problem. If they did, they'd do something about it. Mind you, they ought to know. Perhaps it's us. We're not highly trained nursing 'professionals'.

cheers

#20343 11/11/02 10:40 AM
KM Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
Has anyone else noticed that the cleaning of
equipment tends to be an nhs issue.
Nurses brought in from far off shores to work
in the nhs do tend to look after the equipment better, in my opinion.
Maybe its beacause our home grown crop are used to having everything done for them.
confused

#20344 11/11/02 11:58 AM
Sage
Sage
Spot on with that one Karl laugh , maybe if football is the "English disease" then the lack of care in cleaning equipment is a "British disease" eek

I'd go even furhter to say that in my dabbles with the Private Sector..excuse me whilst I spit.. that their "housekeeping" is of a lot higher standard. The equipment was definitely in a better condition and was always presented in a clean condition. wink

What this points to.. maybe slacking standards in the good old NHS, big organisation no need to bother with the small attention to details..after all where are they going to go if they don't like it. eek

Why worry, Be happy!
#20345 11/11/02 12:16 PM
KM Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
Are there any nurses out there who could enlighten us oink engineering types, as to why they dont see dirty equipment as an issue for the main carer of patients to be bothered about. rolleyes
Obviously the senior "management" grade nurses spout on about it all the time, but its really the shop floor level bods that need to be taking pride in their working space. confused
Or should we, the oinks, be reporting dirty equipment via clinical risk groups etc as a routine. laugh laugh
Then at least when somthing goes wrong we can say told ye so. wink

#20346 11/11/02 3:17 PM
Sage
Sage
Dave, The little intemperance's are normally far too busy with their lipstick and Velcro to bother cleaning equipment.
laugh

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
كيف الآن يحمّر البقرة
#20347 11/11/02 5:02 PM
Scholar
Scholar
Hello the real world !
If you bother to look at nurse training now, you will find that students are taught at degree level about lots of medical issues, unfortunately basic things like equipment care, communication and co-operation with other departments are overlooked or under emphasised.
Nursing staff are sent out qualified with little hospital experience and unrealistic ideas of the job they are expected to do by the NHS.
I have often been told “cleaning equipment is not my job” by junior and senior nursing staff.
The HCA is now expected to do all the menial nursing tasks. Gone are the days of the dedicated and practical SEN's and wards with more than two trained staff on duty at once.
Perhaps the answer might lie in some input into the Health Care Assistants training and the NVQ schemes.
It would be more a fruitful avenue of investigation than the blame culture and buck passing I can read here, then the endless paper treadmill may serve the use for which it was designed.
Rather than fire fighting we train HCA's to clean equipment so they don't break it, investment of time can pay off in the long run.

Jill CLO
#20348 11/11/02 8:50 PM
Master
Master
Here here, I could not agree more with this "Gal." give her a lollipop.

#20349 12/11/02 12:03 AM
Sage
Sage
Ever onward, ever upward.

Maybe we'll get to the day when the "degree" level nurses are superceeded by the "masters" level and eventually the "doctorate" level at entry point.

Hopefully then all those other nasty little duties like looking after patients will have been passed on to the "masters" level entry HCA's who can pass on instructions to the "degree" level Ward Clerks who can finally get the right level of person to clean the equipment effectively, namely the domestics.

They can always lob the syringe drivers in their mop buckets and wheel them down to Biomed hence solving the decontamination and transport issues in one bold sweep.

Oops, forgot, no-one will be in the department; by that stage we'll be at "Professorship" level and will be holding seminars in the Post Grad centre for the 2nd year Portering degree students on the subject "Forces and motions involved in Oxy cylinder handling" confused

Why worry, Be happy!
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz, trat
10,179 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,062
Posts73,727
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020