Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
#20380 17/11/02 6:44 PM
Master
Master
Of all the EBME Department which I have encountered Wigan's is by far the best on all matters concerning clean equipment; before a repair is undertaken, and after it is complete. Perhaps the forum can contact Mr Woods or Mr Norris you ask how they set it all up?

It's enough to make you jealous!! :p rolleyes

#20381 18/11/02 6:26 AM
EH Offline
Expert
Expert
Who ate all the pies man,,,,Hego did cool

A problem is a gift to be unwrapped :rolleyes:
#20382 18/11/02 11:40 AM
Technologist
Technologist
Louis-----Floyd hmmmmmmmmmmm
are you as one with yourself?
anyway
treat it all as dirty and you wont go far wrong
the bugs you cant see are the ones that will get you not the ones you can.

drink anyone?
#20383 18/11/02 12:33 PM
Sage
Sage
May I take this opportunity to applaud Richard, I believe he speaks passionately about a subject that should be close to our hearts and well-being. laugh

I agree with his view points and I don't think he is out of touch, if he is then I am as well.

We had a disagreement about a small issue, the main topic I think we are very similar in agreement on.

If more people were as concerned and forthright on the subject then maybe we would be closer, nationally, to sorting out this major issue.

What seems to be common is that we have all had similar experiences of poor equipment cleaning. This to me suggests that the problem is wide spread and "out-of-control".

Mark E highlights the example of Wigan. I would hope Stuart or Dave would give us the benefit of their in-sight as they are doing "cutting edge" stuff to do with decontamination and equipment preparation I believe.

I do agree with Richard as to training of all staff. Infection control knows no boundaries and so all staff are important in this issue.
I take issue with nursing staff on porters behalf when they are expected to handle equipment in a poor condition. I have the "attitude" to do this, unfortunately a porter does not always have the back up to refuse to handle soiled items.

I too have horror stories as to the contamination of equipment and being "swabbed" for nasties.

Keep banging that drum Richard I'm doing it too. laugh laugh

Why worry, Be happy!
#20384 18/11/02 1:55 PM
Sage
Sage
My dear Mercury man, are you trying to suggest that Louis and Floyd are one, my dear friend that is preposterous, absolute baloney, complete rubbish, my friend, do you honestly think that I Louis Lyniswern III, son of Louis Lyniswern II and grandson of Louis Lyniswern, would even associate with a tree dwelling hippy let alone assume his identity, my friend grandpa Louis would roll in his urn at the mere thought of such a suggestion.

Louis frown

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
كيف الآن يحمّر البقرة
#20385 18/11/02 10:40 PM
Hero
Hero
Richard
You have a good grasp of the problems we all encounter.

The root of the problem is training and implementation of cleaning and decontamination policies.

With nearly 10% of patients (and staff) aquiring infections whilst in NHS Hospitals costing the NHS millions ££ we need implementation plans for policies. (not that this is about money!!)

I am working with the Clinical Governance team, EBME staff, and users to develop a plan for implementation of training. This (I believe) is the root cause, and our EBME Training officer includes cleaning and decontamination in his equipment training, and induction training.

This has resulted in more awareness and understanding. I agree that we are fortunate to have an equipment library, and dedicated staff for collection and delivery who are also trained to insist equipment is cleaned between patients.

We have also worked with portering and they now also insist on the correct paperwork when moving equipment (They operate the library out of hours). The form we use to say equipment has been cleaned is quick and simple to fill out.

We have in no way 'cracked it' but we are part of the organisation and doing everything we can to improve the situation.

Other countries in Europe have cross infection rates as low as 3%. The NHS should and can do better.

Be Proactive and reactive.
#20386 16/05/06 2:28 PM
Mentor
Mentor
I think you'll find that most trusts already have a decon policy, and that it has been forever lost in time as no one enforces it.

I love deadlines, I like the wooshing sound they make as they fly by.
#20387 16/05/06 6:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
I think you'll find that most trusts already have a decon policy, and that it has been forever lost in time as no one enforces it.
Yes that's probably true - especially when it's 4 years down the line from when the original thread was started.

#20388 17/05/06 1:04 PM
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero
Surely it is enforced each time a biomed refuses to accept contaminated equipment into the workshop? smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
#20389 19/07/06 12:49 PM
Mentor
Mentor
Right on Geoff.. wink

Any equipment we receive has to be clean enough for patient use. Can't say we've ever had a problem with this, maybe once or twice we've sent something back. rolleyes

I just love the idea of allowing staff to graffiti equipment with their thoughts and feelings with marker pens.. I assume they would always know which pen was water soluble and which was indelible!! laugh

My favourite is a Genius thermometer with a 'low battery message' on the screen which has subsequently been covered with an (adhesive dried and set) sticky white label upon which is written 'low battery' ...TOO MUCH!! We send them back or invite the staff down to remove the label themselves! laugh

5.7L V8 Corvette.. Doing my bit to keep our summers warmer!
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
8 members (Geoff Hannis, Yousri, Neil Porter, carl ray, Huw, daisizhou, mosfet1996, Hollie Owen), 462 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,063
Posts73,728
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020