#20715 31/12/04 7:11 PM
Mentor
Mentor
Well said Hamid, couldn't agree more

Re: Frightened into joining voluntary register of Clinincal Technologists
#20716 05/01/05 1:59 PM
Dreamer
Dreamer
As I read through all the posts regarding this subject it suddenly struck me that all this talk of the "volantary register of technologists" and requirements for a "degree" as the entry level is a little off. Surely if an applicant had a "degree" they would be an "engineer", the way I have understood it up till now (perhaps wrongly)is that is that a "technologist" was someone with qualifications (some at a higher level) which are lower than a formal degree. I am personally for the idea of registration for many of the reasons given by others but as Jim stated why should it cost so much?

#20717 05/01/05 3:14 PM
Expert
Expert
Adey,

Having a 'degree' does not necessarily mean that you would be an 'engineer', unless it is one that qualifies and allows the use of the title.

I think that the title 'technologist' is an attempt to try and give an identity to the very wide range of technical jobs. It is also a move away from the 'technician' title which has come to mean something less than it used to.

Similarly, the clinical technology degree being mooted is aimed at standardising training and knowledge base for this group. It is being driven by the DH.

Hopefully this will increase the range of transferable skills and knowledge, making it easier to move around from one discipline to another.

As far as the cost of registration is concerned, this will be set by the HPC.

#20718 06/01/05 10:03 AM
Hero
Hero
I think Techman is right. To be and "Engineer", well a chartered one anyway, you need at least a masters degree. I think all requirements for any title or job are just getting higher and higher.
I feel this happened when every college and poly suddenly became a university and could issue degrees along with the government policy of more people getting degrees.
Robert

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Huw, Neoteny), 586 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mudvaynec, Stu, Kacper, Project, Barrow
9634 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,542
Posts71,495
Members9,634
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020