Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Em Offline OP
OP Offline
Is there anybody out there in biomed land interested in attending a technical training course for the CATO anaesthetic machine. As you know Draeger is not running this course , the reason for not running this course is the Cato’s are not manufactured anymore, but yet the Cato’s will be supported until 2012.
In our Trust we have 25 Cato’s - going strong.
My concern is recently appointed engineers at hospitals with a high numbers of Cato's in use, will not get the chance to service these machine because they are not certified by Draeger.
If we can get the numbers we could put pressure on Draeger in reinstating this course.

Many Thanks

Savant
Savant
I would consider minimum 2 staff, for any Draeger training so associated.

It would depend on cost/benefits/payback, of course as we have only 4 of these machines.
I suspect course fees maybe high though even if you could convince them to run it.

Have you had any indication from Draeger that this is actually 'do-able' if numbers were suficient?

Technologist
Technologist
This is interesting as support remains until 2012. Coming from another angle is training of staff not classed as support and if the company is unwilling to provide training I think you should contact their quality manager. Also does the iso accreditation not require them to provide the training.

What was there reasons?

In our books this is a black mark against the company and as we are looking at new equipment I will ask the question of their reps.

Whatever happened to customer satisfaction.

Billy

Super Hero
Super Hero
In cases like this (ie, where the manufacturer is no longer interested in technical training, for whatever reason (?)), this is what I suggest:-

Get hold of some second-hand machines, spare assemblies, manuals etc., then find some good old ex-manufacturers’ service engineer (or anyone else with sufficient nous to train others), and set up your own training courses! smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Em Offline OP
OP Offline
To answer your questions:

Darlosteve – working on it.

Billy – Manufacturing of the Cato discontinued.
Cynics amongst us could interpret this as a means of forcing the sale of newly manufactured Draeger anaesthetic machines.

Geoff
My sentiments exactly but….. what happens if a machine is involved in an incident, the incident is investigated, the engineer who carried out the service, to the manufactures recommendation, is not certified by Draeger.
What happens then ?

Em Offline OP
OP Offline
To answer your questions:

Darlosteve – working on it.

Billy – Manufacturing of the Cato discontinued.
Cynics amongst us could interpret this as a means of forcing the sale of newly manufactured Draeger anaesthetic machines.

Geoff
My sentiments exactly but….. what happens if a machine is involved in an incident, the incident is investigated, the engineer who carried out the service to the manufactures recommendation, is not certified by Draeger.
What happens then ?

Expert
Expert
Where does it state that you must be certified by Draeger to work on Dreager equipment ?, or Eschmann or Baxter as they would have you believe ?, are only Ford trained mechanics permitted to work on Ford cars ?, of course not, a large majority of us work on equipment we have not had specific manufacturers training on, is there a definative answer, or do we all refuse to work on equipment we are not certified to do so by the manufacturer.
If you are technically qualified or trained in a certain discipline, have access to spares, manuals and technical support which by law manufacturers are obliged to provide, what is to prevent you carring out some, if not all of the required maintenance to the manufacturers recommendations ?
From a legal perspective we all have one thing in common, A Draeger Engineer, you or me, we are responsible for the quality and completeness of our work, full stop, you are afforded no additional protection in law by being certified by a manufacturer !

Darren

Novice
Novice
Drager seem to have a burr up there butts about supplying technical information to any biomed who has not been on a training course with them in the last two years or more here in the land of the long white cloud, do you guys "up there" get that type of attitude from Drag ass.

Super Hero
Super Hero
Nice one, Darren. "We" concur! smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Expert
Expert
Covering your bum from a legal rodgering, i feel it important to have some kind of assessment program in place to prove you are fully able to "maintain" the equipment.
Our department has a competency record for individuals. Currently i am receiving in-house training for the service proceedure for the Cato.
At the end i will have a note on my record to that effect.

New beginning. New location. New adventure. Old grumpy me!

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 442 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,064
Posts73,741
Members10,180
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020