Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Do anybody has any idea about the compatibility of different vaporisers to different anaesthesia machines ?
We have a donated Ohmeda Anaesthesia Machine for one of the Missionary hospital but without vaproisers. We presently have a AIKA vaporiser from Japan which came along with the Aika anaesthesia machine from Japan(This unit too was donated but the anaesthesia machine is no longer functional).Can anybody suggest as whether it is possible for the vaporiser to be installed in the anaesthsia machine?

Super Hero
Super Hero
I’m not familiar with the Aika machine, Sudhir. Can we assume a back-bar pressure in the same realm as the Ohmeda unit you are hoping to resurrect?

If so, you wouldn’t get away with doing it in England, but I would say that if you can get the vaporizer to fit, and that it doesn’t leak, and that the anaesthetist stays awake to monitor things closely, and uses whatever agent the Aika is calibrated (?) to use, I would give it a go (assuming that you’re in a needs must situation, and it sounds as if you are). After all, flow is flow and pressure is pressure wherever you are in the world!

But as you know, each vaporizer is designed for use with a particular anaesthetic agent, and if you use some other fluid, the results you get will bear absolutely no resemblance to what you dial in. The bottom line is that it all depends upon the skill and expertise of the anaesthetist. smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Super Hero
Super Hero
Recognise anything at this excellent website, Sudhir? smile

Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Dear Hannis,
thank you very much for the valuable comment and the website but i am already familiar with the site(wasn't much of a help).Anyway hope to receive similar comments in coming days.

KM Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
You need to take lots of things into account. The management of delivery of agent can sometimes be over simplified some of the subjects you need to consider are: - the back bar fitting compatibility of the machine: vaporiser, expected operating pressure of the vaporiser, the positive / negative ambient pressure and back pressure, temperature compensation, viscosity of the agent, time in use of the vaporiser, gas consumption, flow rate and the alternating pressure during ventilation.
All things said if you aren’t in a position to get a statement from the vaporiser manufacturer on the compatibility of the vaporiser. And you are having to use it anyway put an agent analyser in line so you can at least check what the patients getting.
A good anaesthetist should be able to work on their feelings for the situation, however there is never a situation when being able to prove something is there (i.e. the delivered % of agent) when you need it. If you can’t get any info / clarification on the above in order to aid you decision, make sure that the anaesthetist is fully aware what they are using and their responsibilities.
You dont have to use the vaporiser of the manufacturer of the anaesthetc machine, but you will find it hard to get the machine maker to agree to any other. Where as the manufacturer of the vaporiser maybe a better place to start for advice.
Good look.

Super Hero
Super Hero
Hello Sudhir. I included the link hoping that you could identify the machine(s) in question, so others could join in the thread. We can’t see what you’re looking at, unless you want to take a photo and post it on the web!

Meanwhile, once all is said and done, and you’ve resolved the problem, please don’t forget to let us all know how you got on. This forum gets a lot of pleas for help, but we rarely get feedback afterwards, which is a matter of regret. We all need to share the wealth (of knowledge), and we all need to learn.

Have you sorted it out yet? smile

Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Dear Geoff ,
I am sorry not to have replied as i was out of the City and to a place where we have no internet connection.
The Halothane vaporiser did not fit to the Ohmeda anaesthesia machine; i had problem with connections and the back bar fitting compatibility as KM pointed out.
I tried searching on the Internet to find the email address or the official website for the AIKA company but to no avail.
If there is anybody who can provide me with the email address or some kind of solution, i would be highly obliged.

KM Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
try contacting General Anaesthetic Services http://www.gaservices.co.uk/Welcome.htm
They are the Vaporiser experts, they maybe able to offer some assistance.
I dont know what your rules are, but if you can get a selectatec backbar fitting you maybe able to adapt the machine and then use any selectatec vaporiser.

Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer

Thanks for the information mate.Shall contact the given address and update you guys on the progess made.

Super Hero
Super Hero
Here's a bit of background reading. smile

This one is quite good too.

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 26/05/07 6:42 PM. Reason: Added another link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 418 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
diodoled, Al BMET, Eng_VPG, Graham Oliver, Jawad
10,188 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,073
Posts73,785
Members10,188
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020