Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Super Hero
Super Hero
Meanwhile, today it’s 100 TaskMaster downloads from the Downloads | Miscellaneous section of this site. Someone must still like the venerable DOS clunker (... the price is right, after all). And, oddly enough, I’ve done a bit of maintenance coding on it only this morning. It needs a total re-write, actually – does anyone have the time (it’s very therapeutic, you know)? smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Sage
Sage
I am currently working on a database for an embe dept - coded to thier request.

Super Hero
Super Hero
Nice work if you can get it, Mate. What are you coding in? smile

Sage
Sage
VB

Super Hero
Super Hero
When I find myself in times of trouble,
K&R they come to me.
Speaking words of wisdom,
Code in C.

Code in C, Code in C.
Code in C, Code in C.
VB’s not the answer,
Code in C! smile

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 28/06/07 5:44 AM. Reason: The orginal line was "Java's not the answer".

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is that "legacy" VB or VB.NET?

Sage
Sage
Legacy!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Luvurly! RE: Geoff's comments about "C" - isn't VB.NET the database programming language of choice nowadays? For new starters anyhow.

Super Hero
Super Hero
Yes, you’re right Richard. Anyone starting out today could do worse than get stuck in to VB.NET. Especially if they’re also into adding to the obscene wealth of some of the world’s richest people.

Us old-timers tend to see things from a slightly different perspective, of course. There are plenty of excellent programming tools down-loadable for free off the internet. I would urge anyone genuinely interested to have a go in as many languages as possible (if they can find the time). Then you might be in with a chance of really understanding. If you think in terms of a better way, ultimately you will find it. Meanwhile, you can do anything in C (surely the purest of programming languages?), but for database work I still reckon that dBASE and its derivatives (FoxPro being the outstanding example) is the way! smile

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The way I see it the database application, e.g. dBase, Foxpro, MS Access, whatever and/or the programming language are a means to an end. Relational databases are what it's all about now - small scale stuff for our needs I'd have thought.

The real art of developing a database, so I'm led to believe, is in determining the relationships between the data tables, i.e. metadata and functionality, queries, front-end applications, reports and working out systems of work, processes, etc.

The language or application shouldn't really be an issue but If a language includes really useful methods aimed towards database development then surely this is better than keep "reinventing the wheel". Perhaps UML is the key to design.

MS VB (.NET) Express Edition is totally free and probably gives anyone starting out more than enough to develop useful applications or databases. Downloads available from Microsoft FOC.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020