Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
It's just that I have to be careful what I say about the Welsh on this forum, Cyber!

Imperial advantages? For starters, how about halving, quartering etc., etc.? smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
whistle whistle whistle

Master
Master
Cyber - I would like you to explain to me how the road signs would be done over a period of time?

Are you saying they do A roads one year, B roads another and Motorways the next! (this way you would spread the cost but cause chaos)

I look forward to your reply.

It is better to be reactive than radioactive...
Philosopher
Philosopher
Should we be looking into driving on the right to comply with Europe in the near future. We could start with bicycles first just to see if it will work (just been given the finger by a cyclist who pulled out in front of me on a roundabout).

Master
Master
I always thought the British government took EU legislation to literally. You visit any French farmers market, they got the idea right. Why does this country have so many jobsworth's?

It is better to be reactive than radioactive...
Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
...well, that's one word for them. frown

Philosopher
Philosopher
I agree with Biomedbill with regard to a transition of driving on the right.
Start with cyclists, then Volvo drivers (after all Sweden was the last country to change over and these cars are designed for this sort of event and most of them are already making the change!!!!), followed by little old ladies in Fiestas but only on motorways.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.
Expert
Expert
Sadly I feel like im from the inbetween generation who knows of the Imperial system, but has also been taught the SI system.
I think i would like every thing to stay the same.

Ill have a lb of that 15mm thick steak Mr Butcher, thanks.

New beginning. New location. New adventure. Old grumpy me!
Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
Gladly, I consider myself lucky to be of the generation that went from being able to work out answers like £ 3 3/6¼ d , filed down to accuracies measured in thous, calculated ergs and dynes (remember the CGS system?) on a slide-rule (and all the rest), to where we are now, with an international (global) outlook, and happily working away digitally in kilograms, litres, seconds (and all that) and html. smile

Your point is a good one, though, Paul, and it was the one touched on earlier by Bill. When doing practical work (remember that, anyone?), the SI system is not always ideal. The Imperial system (good word, that) contains elements that are far more of the human scale. Bits of timber (etc.) are is still handily referred to as "4 by 2" (meaning inches, of course), and so many feet in length. How many times have you heard people talking about "centi’s" (for centimetres, supposedly, not centipedes), or "kilo’s" (kilo what? kilograms, or, er, kilowatts)? Know what I mean? I have even heard people referring to centimetres as the metric inch. Spare me, please!

I recently had the good fortune (?) to work with some younger people. No doubt they all looked upon me as some sort of ancient dinosaur. Especially when I gave my standard lecture about the superiority of the BA system (over the metric) when it comes to small nuts and bolts. The real problem there, however, was not the lack of historical knowledge on their part, nor even their lack of basic engineering knowledge (about thread forms, pitch etc.), but the apparent lack of interest! frown

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 14/09/07 11:17 AM. Reason: Added a micron's worth.

Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
Originally Posted By: Geoff Hannis
Could this be the beginning of the long road back ... ? smile

... to this? smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (daisizhou, Stargolf, Geoff Hannis, mosfet1996, 1 invisible), 509 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,063
Posts73,728
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020