Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33
Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
Yeah, but maybe they had it all on computer! smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Master
Master
No one has yet mentioned Atari computers.

My first computer was an Atari 400. It had a touch pad keyboard with 16k memory. It was bloody brilliant 26 years ago. The Atari 800 had the proper keyboard. You had to insert different cartridge for different game or functions. You also BASIC cartridge so you could load games by cassette.

A.M cool

Barry

Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them
Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
It wasn't overlooked, Aston, it's just that there are so many fine machines stored in the shed just off Memory Lane, that I daren't mention them all in case I "over-egg the pudding", as it were. smile

When are we going to see a thread entitled Classic Medical Equipment, I wonder?

Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
I might even put in a bid on that one myself, Aston. But if you want an Atari link, it really has to be this one (...once more down Memory Lane)! smile

Philosopher
Philosopher
What call those classic computers!

What about the Research Machines RML 380-Z , only 56k memory and built like a brick!

Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
Anyone know or remember the AY-3-8500?

Sadly, I didn't need to look that number up, I still remember it wink

Remember the original PONG?

I built this - I was a geek even back then cry

I'm sure I got the circuit from Everyday Electronics* and I even think I got the chip from Watford Electronics - remember those names guys...? (Or am I embarassing myself blush )

* We even have an article from Alan Winstanley of Everyday Electroncs here.

Huw #25914 09/10/07 9:55 PM
Philosopher
Philosopher
Originally Posted By: Huw
Remember the original PONG?
Remember it, I think I've still got one in a draw somewhere!

Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
Nice link. There was another one like that which was advertised for years in "Practical Electronics". The idea was that you built it yourself, bit by bit, and added modules as need arose (and pocket-money permitted), and then programmed it. It looked like a quality build, based on the good old 19 inch rack system. I always wanted one, but never even saw one in the flesh, needless to say. I've been trying to remember what it was called, but it escapes me at the moment. No doubt I'll wake up in the middle of the night (day, whatever) and it'll be there! smile

Interesting guy, too. I know a bit about Support Workers myself, as I have a relative who lives in Supported Accommodation. It's nice work, and one that I too would consider if I were at the stage of starting out again (either that or physiotherapy, microbiology, or mental nursing - I know, "doctor heal thyself")!

Huw #25916 09/10/07 10:10 PM
Super Hero
OP Online Content
Super Hero
Wow! This thread is turning into a real therapy session! Looks like I may have found my true vocation after all!

Yeah, I remember WE. I went to their original shop once. Wasn't the bloke's name Jessa, or something similar? Unlike me (obviously), he became a millionaire, I believe. All those BBC Micro shadow RAM boards!

Talking of shadow RAM boards, I also visited Solidisk at Southend-on-Sea more years ago now than I care to remember. I had the honour there of meeting the main-man, a bloke from Hong Kong. A real genius guy, who worked in machine code. He was the sideways RAM guru. I bought a couple of (what we then called) Winchester drives off him after he was able to "interface" them with my BBC Master. We were running a "ViewStore" database for a project in Oman. That was in the days before I met dBASE (yeah, it was that long ago). Why do I feel old all of a sudden?

And Alan Winstanley has been the main-stay of those magazines for years. Without him, they would have folded (no pun intended) years ago.

For the record, I finally transferred my files from the Acorn ADFS 5.25" disks to Clone PC MS-DOS disks of the same size in 1988. Come to think of it, some of the propaganda I still use today dates back to my dear old Model B (with the Torch Z-80 card, don't you know). Wish I still had it (can't remember where it ended up. With one of the kids, I suppose)! <sigh>

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 09/10/07 11:07 PM. Reason: Bit more about Solidisk.

Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
Originally Posted By: Geoff Hannis
There was another one like that which was advertised for years in "Practical Electronics". The idea was that you built it yourself, bit by bit, and added modules as need arose (and pocket-money permitted), and then programmed it. It looked like a quality build, based on the good old 19 inch rack system.

Geoff, I'm sure I know the ad you are talking about.
Tomorrow, I'll have a looksee through all the old 'r&d' stuff I have around the house.

Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Geoff Hannis, Joseph28, joebrde), 441 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,064
Posts73,735
Members10,180
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020