Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#26164 15/10/07 7:17 PM
madhavi Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi there
i am a biomedical engineer,working as a EBME Library Administrator in one of the NHS Hospitals in london.i am thinking of doing masters in VLSI design,can anyone suggest me about the course and opertunities in job market for VLSI design engineers.
thanks and regards

M
Mr R J Ling
Unregistered
Mr R J Ling
Unregistered
M
Bolton University in Manchester offer a modular MSc in Advanced Microelectronics and MSc Electronic Product Development with 100% e-learning (distance learning online) that includes VLSI design. This is in conjunction with a few other universities around the country so choice of subjects is flexible. I considered it myself a while back. Search on www.bolton.ac.uk.

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero
Pleased to hear that you found some biomed work, Mate. Follow your dream, by all means, but why not stick with biomed?

Have you been disappointed so far with hospital work? I would be interested in hearing of your experiences, and your comments about them. smile

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 15/10/07 7:49 PM. Reason: 64h

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Technologist
Technologist
Wao! Suddenly Master in VLSI Design! wink My very 1st employment was related with VLSI design! But I did not really like it as there was no satisfaction out from the job but only monetary satisfaction... And if I intend to stick to VLSI design my ex-employer would have sponsored me the Master course and I would not have come to UK. Unfortunately that's not my interest and it was really boring for me.

Based on my past experience, probably I should share with you and have a thought of it before you go for your academic pursue in Master of VLSI Design. smile

VLSI design is mainly a computing work which involves intensive usage of computers for design and verification; facing the computers the entire day and may have a long verification period such as at least 1 hour of verification run and then follow by fixing the layout design or schematic design as to improve the performance of the integrated circuit (I.C.). That is the typical job routine for a VLSI design engineer.

In UK, due to the post of my CV online, I was approached by a few companies which offer oppurtunity in VLSI design so I suppose there is still a market for VLSI design in UK. But I believe there are more opportunities exist in India and South East Asia, such as Malaysia and Singapore, due to low labour cost.

Originally Posted By: madhavi
Hi there
i am a biomedical engineer,working as a EBME Library Administrator in one of the NHS Hospitals in london.i am thinking of doing masters in VLSI design,can anyone suggest me about the course and opertunities in job market for VLSI design engineers.
thanks and regards

Regards,

Lay Lay
grinboggletiredsleep
M
Mr R J Ling
Unregistered
Mr R J Ling
Unregistered
M
Apologies; Link should be: http://www.bolton.ac.uk

madhavi Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I am quiet o.k with my present job. I am just into the PPMs and repairs of library equipments now. but pay wise, My college mates who are in different fields( like software ) are earning 3 times of my salary, one reason for my thinking of doing masters in VLSI is just an idea of improving my pay scales. Though DSP and digital electronics are my favourite subjects from my college days. I heard from few people saying that VLSI jobs are like hot cakes and are ever demanding in uk market and in few other countries. at the moment I am gathering the information about it before I actually decide to apply for the course.i may not be 100% going in the right way,can I seek suggestions from you all.

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero
I assume that you're a young bloke, madhavi, so you must follow your dream, as I've already mentioned. But you should ask yourself what it is you really want to do. There is, after all, more to life than simply striving for the highest salary. Can you be sure that the openings will still be there once you've qualified? And why do you think those jobs command such high salaries? Could you handle the pressure?

I have found that, in many ways, it doesn't much matter which career you follow, just as long as you are content with your lot in life. I myself would probably have been happy in various careers, or engineering disciplines. But fate decreed that I got involved with the tech support of medical equipment. It's a worthy enough thing to be involved in. You already have a background in electronics. So why not apply your energies where you are, and grow from there? After all, we need good people. smile

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 16/10/07 8:36 PM. Reason: Free advice.

Technologist
Technologist
Originally Posted By: madhavi
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I am quiet o.k with my present job. I am just into the PPMs and repairs of library equipments now. but pay wise, My college mates who are in different fields( like software ) are earning 3 times of my salary, one reason for my thinking of doing masters in VLSI is just an idea of improving my pay scales. Though DSP and digital electronics are my favourite subjects from my college days. I heard from few people saying that VLSI jobs are like hot cakes and are ever demanding in uk market and in few other countries. at the moment I am gathering the information about it before I actually decide to apply for the course.i may not be 100% going in the right way,can I seek suggestions from you all.

Well, I can only advise you to follow your heart/intuition but not your mind as your heart will guide you to your life path. smile

As Geoff's post, what do you really want in life? Just to earn money? Question from me would be what is the purpose of earning so much money? For Chinese's believe, each person is fated to earn certain amount of money only in his or her entire life in this world and if he or she earns more than what he or she is entitled in his or her current life, the money will eventually go away as well, just hope that not on medical bills; physical and financial suffering (in Malaysia context). eek

And if you really intend to pursue VLSI Design, be ready to learn more programming skills as they will ease your work load; automate a lot of task sequentially as coded. smile

Regards,

Lay Lay
grinboggletiredsleep
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero
Health is Wealth! If you don't keep your health, then all the money in the world isn't going to be much use. smile

I totally agree with Lay Lay; I spent 25 years in VLSI design and although the early years were fun (no CAD then) by the time I baled out the job consisted of spending all day sitting in front of a computer screen, fighting arcane verification software. My pay may be lower but at least I get to talk to real people, and use hands-on repair skills!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (Geoff Hannis, Malcolm, daisizhou, Rallium), 405 guests, and 451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,704
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020