Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Visionary
Visionary
Our department has been ISO accredited for many years now, it is more about that procedures are followed rather than the procedure was the correct one.
But having said that it makes procedure become best practice buy allowing them to be criticised and changed in a formal way. It also gives an invaluable framework to anyone new to the job, guaranteeing that they will process the job in the same way as the old timers.

It does take a lot of time to develop (internal audits etc) but it also allows a discussion to take place on what actually is 'best practice' for everyone and not just individually.

Super Hero
Super Hero
And here's the thread about ISO-9000. Does anything more need to be added? smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Adept
Adept
Hi Geoff,
am still on holiday and having a break by logging on here.
SQU hospital,Oman has been ISO certified for the last 2 years now and I should say I have mixed feelings about it-there are plus and minuses but so far the plus outweigh the minuses.

bong

Super Hero
Super Hero
Hi Bong. Care to list them for us? Pluses ... Minuses ... smile

My own particular interest is PM. What is your rationale? Does the system consider Risk Factors (ie, potential hazards to patients)? How are the procedures organised? Who has written them? Can they be changed (easily)? How often are they carried out (according to whom)? That sort of thing.

Also, are you following British practice? Are you involved with COSHH, for instance? Has the hospital promoted a "safety culture", and are Risk Assessments carried out when necessary?

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 26/01/08 3:53 AM. Reason: Added the link.

Adept
Adept
Having a quality system in place helps focus the minds on what should be done and helps all staff to ‘sing from the same hymn sheet’.

The problem with the ‘let’s just rely on our years of experience’ is what happens when all the experience has retired?

Barney

Hero
Hero
Barney,

I am singing from the same hymn sheet. Quality systems work. smile

Be Proactive and reactive.
Philosopher
Philosopher
Only if you have the right personnel in place!

Hero
Hero
Yes Bill,

It needs to be a team effort to make it work, and the processes need to be simple but effective. (Lean) smile

Super Hero
Super Hero
Yes John, at the end of the day it's a team effort. But without leadership it will not happen. After all, all sheep need a shepherd! smile

Hero
Hero
Hello Geoff,
I agree it needs leadership to take it forward. I have implemented ISO900:2000 in 3 different depts and in all 3 the staff reluctantly went along with it, but after 12 months of being up and running - they did not want to go back, and valued their achievements, and the benefits it brought. In all cases, it enabled us to develop new working roles, invest in training, and deliver cost savings to the Trust, whilst increasing the increase the number of technicians and get improved facilities. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 449 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,064
Posts73,741
Members10,180
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020