Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#27397 14/01/08 12:22 PM
BK Offline OP
Savant
OP Offline
Savant
Can anyone advise where I can obtain the latest version MIA list of companies. Was it not on here at some point?

Master
Master
Originally Posted By: BK
Can anyone advise where I can obtain the latest version MIA list of companies. Was it not on here at some point?

Try Here Mate...

http://nww.pasa.nhs.uk/PASAWeb/Supplierzone/Indemnity.htm

John

There are things that are known and there are things that are unknown. In-between there are doors.
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Expert
Expert
Or you could try:-
http://www.pasa.nhs.uk/MIA/ grin

It takes you straight to the listing.

Last edited by Garrith; 15/01/08 1:15 PM. Reason: Direction

Sometimes the gene pool just gets muddy.
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero
Can someone kindly spell out (for the benefit of my simple mind) what all this actually means? Am I right in thinking that the MIA listing simply indicates that the company is covered by an insurance policy? Is this a standard policy (ie, is every company covered in the same way)? What does it cover?

No chance in meaning that it guarantees that the kit is actually serviceable and safe, and that a service history has been maintained and available for reference or review, I suppose?

I see lots of high-end surgical kit being trundled around in the back of vans by eager (eager for their commission, that is) young sales reps. I see kit proudly displaying "electrical safety" stickers from many different hospitals, as if they are being collected in the same way that my uncle's Ford Prefect used to have those little triangular stickers from seaside towns in the back window! Apart from that, does anybody technical ever run their eye over such vulnerable equipment, I wonder? smile

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 16/01/08 10:51 PM. Reason: ...

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Hi All,
I have recently subscribed to the EBME website as I am interested in working within the medical equipment sector, I find the website very interesting with a wealth of information concerning this field.
I work as an electronics repair technician and have currently applied for a post as a electro-medical equipment service technician for which I have a interview for.
Any advice, interview tips or guidance would be truly helpful thanks
johnmjm.

Hero
Hero
One bit of advice:
Read what a topic is about and reply as appropriate or start a new topic. blush

It is similar to reading the correct manual or instructions for use and following them correctly. wink laugh

Geoff,
I agree that there are some people who say if anything goes wrong it is the companies fault so not my problem. Strictly correct - if you can prove it was the equipment to blame and not user misue etc., I bet the companies lawyers will argue otherwise. But that does mean that a person is on the receiving end of something going wrong. Better that something is found on acceptance inspection and it does not happen at all, remember it might be you that get hurts. shocked
Robert

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
KM Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
We are responsible for all indemnity issues here.
Nothing comes in unless indemnity process is completed.
If theres a MIA we get a delivery note as per PASA indemnity and the kit is tested and logged on the inventory as loan.
if theres no MIA we set a mirrored one up and either of the MED managers and the Chief Exec of the trust aurthorise it. If theres an issue surrounding the supplier wanting different levels (lower) than Pasa levels we go to the trust solicitor for advice. When the kits finished with we set it as removed. There is also a bright red label attached which states the date the device is indemnified and that it needs to not be used after that.
Works very well.
But you have to have it in your Medical Equipment Policy, it has to be backed at borad level and it has to be policed. With appropriate actions against those who dont comply.

Master
Master
Geoff
The main reason for the Indemnity is that the supplier is reponsible for liability, excluding negligence by the the Health Boards employees. The supplier shall have insurance to a minimum of £5 million pounds for each claim.
The MIA number and similar number in Scotland indicates that the supplier has furnished the insurance documents for inspection by PASA or SHS and they have been found to be satisfactory. The MIA number south of the Border is not legal in Scotland.
Should the supplier not have one of these numbers which can be viewed at PASA OR SHS, a Standard Form of Indemnity needs to be completed. This should only be signed at Board level of the supplier.
Here, the indemnity for all medical devices get signed for by me as the person nominsted by our Chief Exec.

Novice
Novice
Hi Geoff,
The MIA or Master indemnity Is a form of insurance which protects the Organisation in the event of a problem where the user or patient on the receiving end of the equipment tries to sue the organisation for damages etc. Generally,when equipment is used on loan or trial from another from a company, it is expected to be compliant with all European standards (CE marked etc)and fit for use on a patient. It is policy within our trust and I'm sure of many other to perform checks to ensure that the equipment is fit for use and conforms to these standards. If the company is registered with PASA then they have probably undergone certain checks to ensure that the company can underwrite the insurance levels required(but don't quote me on this though - if were ever in any doubt we get the engineer or their MD to sign indemnity forms from our procurement dept)
I have noticed over the years that many company representatives try to get in through the 'back door' and never announce the fact that they're visiting.When challenged they always say that our trust is the only one who asks to them to present themselves to the EBME dept prior to their visit to the intended department for their trial (interested to know if anyone else has this problem!)
It is your responsibility as an employee of the organisation you work for to protect the the patients and the organisation from equipment that does not conform to standard - Not to mention the impending corporate manslaughter and corporate homicide laws!

Johnmjm - dont let people put you off - its a great job to be in check out all the employment pages of EBME, go to your local hospital and visit their EBME dept, see what they do, see if they offer training or work experience (some dont but many do, we do! if not them - try elsewhere) Most Depts will require a minimum of ONC but on the job training can be given often FOC from equipment suppliers. check out Falfield college for medical electronics training. All the best
Regards to All
Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, Huw D, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (daisizhou, Stargolf, Geoff Hannis, mosfet1996, 1 invisible), 509 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,063
Posts73,728
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020