Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#29098 10/04/08 7:34 AM
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
How disappointing that Huw has had due cause to close down yet another thread (one that was started by yours truly, by the way). I had hoped that we had seen the last of nonsense such as this. frown

Darren:- if you've got a beef, old Mate, why not start up your own site? wink

Rob:- you came on to the forum with guns blazing, and stirred up the pot a bit (nothing wrong with that, Mate ... it's something I do myself occasionally). But you need to know when to back off! After all, at the end of the day, it's John and Huw's ball (ie, they carry the can, when and if ...), and they can take it home anytime they like. It won't go "down the pan" now, by the way, for the simple reason that it's too well established. Revert to lurking if you wish, but I for one would much prefer to see your contributions (we have far too many disguntled "back-benchers" already). So we're all looking forward to hearing from you again!

John and Huw:- keep up the good work. Many of us know how much commitment and effort it all takes (it's easy to snipe from the side-lines)!

Everyone:- if you don't like the forum, or the way it operates, why not (do as Darren has done and) start up your own? I (and many others, I should imagine) would be happy to join in!

Lastly:- why all the fuss about "third-person" comments? Everyone has the right of rebuttal in an open forum like this, so what's the problem? And I write as someone whose name has been "banded-about" more than once. So what? We're all big boys now, you know.

Bottom-line:- if sensitive souls are so easily upset, let them stay away (on the grounds that not only do they have nothing to offer the forum, but also that they may drag it down into the politics of the playground).

Have a nice day, y'all. smile

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 10/04/08 7:44 AM. Reason: It needed editing ... as always.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Expert
Expert
Morning Geoff - I have been away on course, have i missed something exciting on the EBME website?

DW - Still on the Daftside

Philosopher
Philosopher
Taking up one of the points - "if you won't say it to someone's face, then don't put it in print"!!
Is it me or is there are a lot more bickering and sniping going on in the contents of this forum? Are people getting a bit more tetchy?

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.
Kawasaki #29102 10/04/08 10:32 AM
Visionary
Visionary
Hiya,

Been watching this site for a long time - some good stuff and some not so good stuff. Some useful stuff some waste of time stuff. A commercial site that benefits from input on the forum. Otherwise not many would be that interested in it.

When you show interest on this site then its all right as long as it gives certain people a reason tell you how brilliant they are or slap the backs of people that are popular or mates.

The library thread and the articles thread are examples of this - the ball quickly gets taken in. The opposite is where recently someone left the site because nothing was done by admin even though there were loads having a go at him. Hes unpopular and controversial so I reckon it was good at bringing in readers.

Nothing was done by admin then. When you even mention someone or something else thats not on the "party agenda" or "mates" it seems they get a bit touchy.

Call someone rotton whos not popular and the admin does nothing -but it seems to me like its easy to hit on a nerve and be accused of making inferences and "attacking people" with innocent comments relating to whats in the public domain.

Seems like there's no smoke without fire when a hammer is used to crack a nut in response to innocent posts. Take from that what you will.......

Commercial sites will always be biased and we have to accept that I suppose.

Cheers.

Rob Harris #29104 10/04/08 11:59 AM
Expert
Expert
With regards to Rob's post - i it was wrong that an individual felt he had to leave the site, i did not agree with his points on the VRCT issue but there was other articles from him that I found very interesting and informative, it would be good for this forum if he came back.

DW - Still on the Darkside

Hero
Hero
I would agree with Darth's sentiment.

As moderators we have to review the postings and decide whether they have broken the rules. It is not black and white. Although this is a commercial site - it is only commercial because the EBME community decided that they wanted it to be free and did not want to pay an annual membership fee of £10. Huw and I were paying all the costs for the first 2 years, and worked on the site for free. Now we are commercial, we are able to provide free services to our members.

Of the 10's of 1000's of posts, we have probably deleted less than 20. That means that 99.99% of posts are still there to read.

We only close topics when it gets ridiculous/or completely off topic. Again 99.99% of topics are still open.

We have recently had a member leave and we are all dissapointed, as his posts were often on the ball, and interesting.

Rob,
we have no 'party agenda'. The forums go in different directions, but with slight moderation. If we didn't moderate, there would be anarchy on these pages.

Unfortunately, written text can often be interpreted in many different ways. Huw and I try to look at all possible angles to ensure we are making the right decisions when closing down a topic or deleting posts.
smile

Hello Geoff,
I think you must have been a sex pistols fan! "Anarchy in the UK". Only Joking
grin

Now Geoff, you called this topic 'Old Articles'. So what would you like to know about the old articles? wink

Be Proactive and reactive.
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
And now I'm locking one more.

Sorry Geoff & John but this thread was only opened in response to closing the other one.

I can see that the days of banter are past thanks to just a few trouble makers.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 361 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,064
Posts73,741
Members10,180
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020