Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Super Hero
Super Hero
You obviously don't get on here very often, Steve, or else you would already know about the kind of problems faced by Roman (and others in his situation).

Do I take it then, that there are no plans to introduce a web-based programme? smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Super Hero
Super Hero
Originally Posted By: eastwoodpark
Did you have a concern about the validitity of the qualification?

Sorry, Mate ... which qualification are we talking about?

NVQ, EAL, SEMTA ... it's all Greek to me.

No, I was just leading into the argument that if the possibility of failure isn't there, then (to my old-fashioned mind), there can't be much real value to it (whatever it is). smile

Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Nice to virtually meet you. No, as you are aware i am fairly new to the EBME website although thoroughly enjoying the knowledge sharing experience.

Like i say currently the requirements of the Foundation Degree specify that we must assess delegates. The most economic way to do this is to assess them at Eastwood Park at the same time.

I shall endeavour to push for a online only version but for the meantime we stuck with the current format.

Steve

Novice
OP Offline
Novice
rest assured that you can fail it and anyone who has obtained the qualification should be proud that they have achieved it.

It is a qualification based on the National Qualifications Framework (more jargon!) but is certainly recognised employers. In fact a number of EBME departments are undertaking this qualification as part of their apprenticeship.

Steve

Super Hero
Super Hero
Charmed, I'm sure. Don't get me wrong, Steve. I have enjoyed a few courses at Eastwood Park myself in the past (and enjoyed the grounds, and the grub, even more I might say).

But there is a real need for biomed training worldwide. And I'm talking about practical, "hands-on" training, rather than writing précis or whatever.

Perhaps, instead of having students come to you, you should think about going out to them (under some sort of aid scheme funded by our generous government, maybe). If you guys don't go for it, then someone else undoubtedly will.

For instance, wasn't there talk about setting something up out in Malaysia? smile

Sage
Sage
Why are we bordered by having a degree. We don't look at how many certificates you have but rather how many years of precious experience you have. In our organisztion we equate certain years of experience to make up for the degree or diploma. These are the real stuff we want .... skill and attitude.

Apprenticeship may still be the direction after years of disappearance.

Those who still insist on having a degree why not try the Open University.

Make the impossible POSSIBLE. I know we all can and it is the wisdom to distinguish one from the other.

My blog: http://biomedicalengineeringconsultancy.blogspot.sg/

Philosopher
Philosopher
Roger,
Unfortunately the NHS is constrained by the Agendsa for Change rules that have been foisted on us. As part of this "change" all jobs within the NHS have to be quantified and are scored on a number of factors, one of which is the level of education required to do the job. Having a degree as opposed to an HNC as the requirement for your job will usually give you enough points to raise the job to a higher band. Therefore most biomed job descriptions state that a degree is required. This also runs alongside the advent of the VRCT which is hoping to regulate EBME and other non-related jobs. The VRCT are asking for the degree to be the standard level of education to be a registered CT.

I know this question has been asked before but can anyone tell me what NVQ 3 is equivalent to in old money? Is it ONC, OND, HNC or HND?

Super Hero
Super Hero
... City & Guilds (if that)! wink

Dreamer
Dreamer
Hi Biomedbill,

The only information I could find is NVQ 3 = ONC/OND, NVQ 4 = HNC/HND. As from January this year all new Bio Med Eng, EBME, Clinical Technologists above band 5, I think will require a IPEM Clinical Technologists diploma, to get on the VRCT.

Philosopher
Philosopher
Originally Posted By: Henk
As from January this year all new Bio Med Eng, EBME, Clinical Technologists above band 5, I think will require a IPEM Clinical Technologists diploma, to get on the VRCT.
Is that fact or myth? The only updates I last heard of were the initial joining fee gone up to £30 and the closure of the grandparenting provision for those who commenced employment after January 2007.

By the way on the Eastwood Park website it mentions "In addition the programme will relate to the Voluntary Register of Clinical Technologists and membership of relevant Professional Bodies." Does this mean that it's Engineering council accredited, since I can't find it listed on the Engineering council site! confused I remember reading one University report that the problem setting up a Clinical technologist degree was that although you might meet the requirements for VRCT in doing so you end up with too little engineering content for the Engineering council. It might be based on the National Qualifications Framework but then again you can get degree's in watching the Simpsons that are as well! boggle

Last edited by Chris Watts; 31/07/08 8:22 PM. Reason: wondered if details were correct?
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz, trat, Mitul Patel
10,178 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,061
Posts73,725
Members10,178
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020