Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero

Last edited by Huw; 10/07/20 2:00 PM. Reason: Updated link
Just downloaded the recent upgrade of Taskmaster.

Thanks Geoff

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
Hello Full Metal, and welcome to the forum (another Mate from the Desert Kingdom, I notice). Thanks for your interest in my stuff.

The DOS version of TaskMaster has been neglected a bit these last couple of years, and the one available for download from this website has a couple of problems with it. The version I hold on my old "DOS" PC has them sorted, of course, but (not having received any complaints about them, and imagining that users had now moved on to the Windows version), I have not got it readily compiled for distribution just at the moment.

I have been thinking of doing a bit more on the DOS version (for sentimental reasons more than anything else), perhaps bringing in some of the features that are now part of the Windows version. If the need is indeed there, perhaps I'll have a go later during the wonderful summer weather that we're currently enjoying in the UK. smile

PS: Hi Gani ... I've sent you an email.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Sage
Sage
When is the Windows version available, Geoff?

Make the impossible POSSIBLE. I know we all can and it is the wisdom to distinguish one from the other.

My blog: http://biomedicalengineeringconsultancy.blogspot.sg/

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
The Windows version of TaskMaster has been around for some years now. It is available from the Downloads section. There remains a couple (at least) of irritating bugs in the latest version to be published. They arise from one of the rare limitations of FoxPro (as far as I can tell). They have been put right, but I'm still not happy with the result. In short, it's a bit of a kludge.

Meanwhile (and thanks for giving me the opportunity to broadcast this), in celebration of 200 downloads of the DOS version (which, in itself, seems almost unbelievable), I am spending a few days updating the DOS version, adding in some of the more useful features of the later Windows version revisions (which are mainly due to thoughtful feedback and suggestions from loyal users in various parts of the world).

I hope to be able to post both the latest Windows and (updated) DOS versions to Huw (for including in the Downloads section) shortly. smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
The latest revision of the Windows version of TaskMaster is available for downloading here. I am hoping that this will be a stable, definitive, issue. You may notice that previous versions have been cancelled.

There had been 212 downloads of earlier versions, and I would now urge anyone still using them to adopt the latest issue. You will find that some datafiles you may have developed will not work with 8.10. If you want to carry on using that data, just zip up your XTM_*.* files and email them to me. I will re-structure them into current formats and get them straight back to you. Otherwise, you could simply "start again" with the latest issue.

I hope to keep those datafile structures fixed now. In fact I don't anticipate doing much more work on TM at all, apart from the inevitable bug fixes. Feel free to advise if (when) you find any!

Meanwhile, I continue to be surprised that the old DOS version from April of last year continues to be downloaded. I've recently done some updating of that one, and hope to get a final revision to Huw soon. It may not match all the features of the Windows version, but will include most of the more useful stuff. smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Just a quick word on this quiet Sunday morning to let those of you who may be interested know that incremental improvements to the TM program continue to be made (and also to the old DOS version, as mentioned above). For technical reasons, Huw may not be able to add it to the Downloads section just yet, but if anyone would like the very latest stuff, feel free to get in touch via email or PM. By the way, the "latest news" about TM is always posted here.

As usual, I am always looking to receive feedback from those trying (and, hopefully, using) TM. With 220 downloads of the DOS version, and over 240 of the Windows version, I am always a little disappointed that I rarely hear how people get on. If it's total rubbish, then I need to know!

The most recent enhancements were made following an intensive critique from a bloke using TM in his servicing work. He (who must remain anonymous for his own commercial reasons) provided some very good feedback (comments, suggestions and bug reports), all of which has been acted upon. I need more like this!

Meanwhile, I hope to have the updated DOS version ready before Christmas! smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
I must once again thank Mr. Huw for publishing some of my stuff in the Downloads section. Having just had a go myself, perhaps I need to remind people that if they want to try out the DOS version (and assuming a recent Windows platform), they will need to set the "DOS Box" files setting to 99. Otherwise they should expect disappointment when first running the program! This is mentioned in the Readme.txt file (for those who still like to look at those)!

Specifically, you will need to set files = 99 in the relevant system config file. For instance, CONFIG.SYS for a traditional MS-DOS system (does anyone still use one?), or CONFIG.NT under Windows XP, Windows 2000 etc. This file is usually found in the C:\...\System32 directory.

Feel free to get in touch "in case of difficulty". smile

Last edited by Huw; 10/07/20 2:01 PM. Reason: Updated link

Philosopher
Philosopher
By the way Geoff's software is an excellent system model!

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Well said, that man! That's you back on my Christmas card list, then, Mate! smile

Meanwhile, anything new happening with Mariner? ... I can't say "Ancient" 'coz my stuff claims that territory.

PS: I have in front of me the genesis of the simplified "new system" that's been on the back-burner for the last two years. A sparse (clean) interface ... using VBX-style tabs. The minimum number of datafiles, related to each other as necessary. As configurable (by the user) as I can make it. No "codes" this time, just plain English. And (hopefully) a model that's easier for most users to understand.

I plan to make more use of other applications (that everyone has to hand these days), rather than "doing it all" within the system. Web-links, and stuff like that. What fun!

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020