Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#33820 22/09/08 6:10 AM
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
Here's a sobering thought:- one of those big American financial institutions that recently (and spectacularly) "failed" had been founded when "cowboys roamed the plains"! Meanwhile, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac might sound like a couple of characters from the Beano, but the whole sub-prime mortgage lending thing (yes, BS I know) has hardly been a joke, has it?

Frankly, I'm getting a bit worried that all my prophesies seem to be coming true! Surely, for the last decade or so, it has been obvious to any rational mind that the totally unregulated "financial sector" and the blatantly irresponsible extension of credit to all and sundry was bound to end in disaster ... not only for the idiots concerned, but for everyone else as well (as we all have to "pay the price")! And don't even mention the effects of "globalization" (...something else, like the EU, that many of us never signed up to ... and yet still have to "carry the can" - interesting phrase? Look it up).

Similarly (in my view), we shall all end up paying the price (and we probably already are) for the grossly inept over-prescribing of antibiotics for seemingly every trivial and often non-bacteria ailment. Now I hear that the latest "super-bug", known by the catchy initials of PVL, may have come about originally from the over-use of antibiotics in animals.

Whether or not that happens to be the case, from what I hear Panton-Valentine Leukocidin is particularly grim. Apparently, it is far more of a threat to us all than the so-called "bird flu" could possibly ever be (because it's already present in - and now carried by - man, whilst avian flu would still have to jump across the species), and yet we hardly ever hear about it. How come? Are we prepared, or not?

I'm told that if PVL "took hold" (?), the hospital system would rapidly become swamped. Oh, that's good news, then!

I had been forecasting the collapse of any "economy" built on nothing but hot air and "trust" (wishful thinking), and yes, unfettered greed, and have also always taken the view that sooner or later (and given mankind's present ways of going about things) "the bugs must win". As we know there is a constant battle for survival being fought at the microbial level, at the lowest forms of life. Is there any hope for us all ... or is it a case of (as I have mentioned more than a few times before) "long live low-life"?

Financial disasters, terrorist outrages, chronic unhappiness amongst the young, weird weather patterns, latter day plagues ... is it just me, or is something going on here? Random events or "accidents waiting to happen"? Perhaps we were all happier (as in "ignorance is bliss") when we didn't have all this information available to us ... perhaps. But, can we take comfort that the "experts" are looking out for us? You know, just as they did with our money? smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Mentor
Mentor
I just accept that greedy, stupid people will continue doing what will make them profit without caring about anyone else, and theres nothing I can do about it.

I love deadlines, I like the wooshing sound they make as they fly by.
Cyberdog #33822 22/09/08 9:18 AM
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
Except suffer in silence? frown

How about PVL? Any chance of the same greedy, stupid people expecting everyone else to swallow that one, too?

Mentor
Mentor
There is always some superbug about to wipe out the human race, I take it with a pinch of salt, and im not gonna worry til it actually starts happening.

I love deadlines, I like the wooshing sound they make as they fly by.
Cyberdog #33827 22/09/08 4:08 PM
Philosopher
Philosopher
I've always worried about those loonies being in charge of children.................oh sorry not PGL.

Lee

Don't forget "we've never had it so good".
Lee S #33830 22/09/08 5:09 PM
Philosopher
Philosopher
Geoff or should I say Marvin?
I think you might need to buy a sun lamp, sounds like the onset of S.A.D. Apparently it's starting earlier this year due to the poor summer we've just had.

biomedbill #33833 22/09/08 10:08 PM
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

I don't think that even a Kromayer would help much with PVL, Bill.

Anyway, what do you mean about the "poor summer"? I'm in South Yorkshire too, remember ... we don't expect summers here! smile

Philosopher
Philosopher
We still "expect" summer, unfortunately I was at work on that day!

biomedbill #33854 23/09/08 12:10 PM
Master
Master
Summer this year was a JFK moment - everybody remembers what they were doing and where they were when it 'happened' grin

It is better to be reactive than radioactive...
JohnBhoy #33869 24/09/08 8:30 AM
Philosopher
Philosopher
Sorry JohnBhoy, but I must have blinked at the precise JFK moment!!!!

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (stevo72, KeithO, kristy07, Ivan Lai), 75 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Carys, Ivan Lai, Chris.S, NimBuS06, Januar
9,997 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,881
Posts72,935
Members9,997
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020