Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
mtalam Offline OP
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Can someone tell me how to charge a patient for using a piece of equipment e.g. use of a monitor for a certain duration or use of an infant incubator and also which equipment should be charged and which ones should not be charged.
thanks

Super Hero
Super Hero

Er, just send him (her, the family, whomever) the bill!

Which services are charged for is (of course) dependent upon which type of healthcare provider (method of healthcare delivery) you're thinking of (government, private, faith-based ... whatever) and whether turning a profit out of people's misery is all part of the policies involved! frown

For instance, in UK government hospitals, use of equipment is free (of charge) at the point of care. The tab is picked up by the taxpayer (for this, plus everything else).

In private hospitals (the few that we have in the UK), the cost of using equipment would be bundled together with the daily "hotel" rate, and/or the lump-sum price for such-and-such a surgical procedure etc. X-ray examinations, and lab tests would be charged for (but not the use of the x-ray unit, or the analyser per se). I doubt there would be specific (itemized) billing for "n" minutes use of monitor "X", electrosurgical unit "Y", or lab analyzer "Z"!

Are you talking about renting out equipment (eg, nebulizers) or something like that?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
mtalam Offline OP
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
oops no...we are a government hospital but allowed to charge the patients i.e cost sharing basis something like subsidised fee.We were thinking of charging say X amount for the incubator use and Y for oxygen per litre per hour use.Other small equipment like suctions and the likes are bundled in the profesional fee.

Super Hero
Super Hero

And has the genius who dreamed up this amazing scheme considered what s/he is going to say to the young mother who cannot afford the "use" of the baby incubator? frown

Frankly, it sounds like a load of nonsense to me. I won't be commenting further in case one of of own government ministers (so-called) is listening in. I don't want to give them any ideas. And I'm think I'm right in saying that we haven't heard yet about today's "new initiative" from the Troughs of Westminster!

mtalam Offline OP
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
the novice works in such a way that all services are costed and in an event that the young mother cannot afford to pay for the service we do have a committee that anaylze the facts on the gound and if indeed she can not pay we waive the fee.Here in this part of the world very fewpeople have insurance cover to cater for such cost and the government does not cover her citizens.

Super Hero
Super Hero

"Means testing" is a very crude, ugly, and stressful way of going about it! Take my advice, and reject the whole idea of charging for the use of medical equipment. Almost by definition, it's the last thing the patient wants to worry about!

It's also the last thing that the medical staff should be worrying about, too. That is, "I wonder if this young woman will be able to pay for this ultrasound exam."? (or whatever). Or, "judging by the ragged state of this child, I had better not call for a battery of lab tests ... there's no way that his parents will be able to meet the bill"! Or even ... "OK, it's time to switch off the ventilator, your mother has had her ten dollars' worth"!

Surely anyone can see where such a "policy" leads? If not, here it is, I'll spell it out:- it will lead to the weakest, poorest and probably the most deserving members of the community being denied the help and care they need, whilst all the resources are heaped on to those with bulging wallets. It's wrong, plain and simple.

Do you work for the Ministry?

Anyway, here's my sincere advice for the Minister ... be human! frown

Meanwhile, here in this part of the world, almost no-one has health insurance, due to the fact that the government hospitals (which provide almost all of the front line health services) are funded through general taxation. Why don't your people try that?

Originally Posted By: mtalam
... the government does not cover her citizens.

What does the government do, then, if it doesn't care for the people (what is it there for)?

Technologist
Technologist
Mtalam,
You may have given the Uk goverment an excellent idea on how to reduce our debt, the more stupid the idea the more likely it is to come be put into place.

I can see it now
Buy 1 hip replacement get the second half price.
Get a free valve with every bypass ONLY while stocks last.

WAIT AND SEE.

Super Hero
Super Hero

I would much prefer something like:-

"If the biomeds achieve 95% of PM's done on target, then the Trust pays for a day trip for the department to ... ":-

1) Blackpool
2) Clacton
3) Scarborough
4) Weston-super-Mare
5) ... the nearest decent seaside resort! smile

Unless, of course, you happen to already be in Scarborough ... in which case you get to go to Bridlington!

Expert
Expert
Hi mtalam,

I'm afraid you've had some rather flippant replies to your question, because in this country we've had the luxury of free emergency treatment paid for by taxes for many years. I can only suggest that you keep charging as simple as possible, and aim to charge the better off a little more so there's a bit spare to help the poor. I guess that's what happened here a hundred years ago!

If you ever go into politics perhaps you can found the Kenyan National Health Service and go down in history. Though I'm sure everyone will still complain, as they do here!

Best of luck, Moira

Super Hero
Super Hero

Oh, are you an expert on healthcare in East Africa, then, Moira? Would you say that the way it is delivered is fair, and just (not to mention, humane)? frown

Regardless of whether you need the lesson, here it is anyway. Things are "bad" out there because the government (as has been mentioned) is unable to provide decent healthcare for its citizens. One way that you (and everyone else involved with medical equipment in the UK) can help is by donating good used equipment (plus medical supplies and all the rest). That is, instead of simply binning it (as so many of you do).

But, what ever you do, don't send money, as I think we can all guess where that might end up (hint:- it almost certainly won't end up helping the injured, sick and needy).

Assuming that you have actually read what our friend out there has posted ... all I can add is:- I don't believe we had baby incubators, even here in the UK, a hundred years ago.

If patients in government hospitals must be charged, let it be per consultation, examination, treatment session or what have you. Not by so many hours under the phototherapy lamp. What are we going to have, coin in the slot meters on every patient monitor?

To be honest, your last sentence almost defies belief! Are you taking the mickey, or what? frown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 685 guests, and 509 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020