Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
Meanwhile, looking again at the Downloads section, perhaps it's not immediately obvious that TMD0812.zip is a DOS-based distribution, whilst TM_0812.zip is the Windows version.

Earlier downloads from this site of the DOS version totalled 223. Windows versions totalled 242. smile

Last edited by Huw; 07/12/20 11:50 AM. Reason: Updated link

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Technologist
Technologist
Hi Geoff,

You've done a great job with your database. It's hard to find a good database made specially for us.

Can I have a copy of it?
I've never worked with foxpro, but it looks real good.

Cheers.
Jose.

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
Thanks for that, Jose.

Originally Posted by Jose A. Serrano
It's hard to find a good database made specially for us.
Actually, there are quite a few. But most need to be paid for (not only that, but what you might call "big money", too).

Have you downloaded TM_0903.zip?

As always, there are a few errors in there, and there is a TM_0905.zip in the offing (just a few bits of tidying up of various routines), but I'm a bit side-tracked by "other projects" at the moment.

Is it the source code you're after, or something else? smile

Last edited by Huw; 10/07/20 3:02 PM. Reason: Updated link

Technologist
Technologist
Hi Geoff,

I already downloaded TM903, but I didn't try it yet. I just look at the screen shots and it's great.

My experience with computers is not enough to develop a database like yours. I worked a little with mysql but i'm not a expert with it (not yet but just wait a couple of months).

Any help regarding the database will be wellcome (including the source code).

Should I change my mind and point to foxpro, Geoff?

As I told you, I'm not an expert in computers.

cheers

jode.

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero
As has been mentioned on the forum before, SQL is the future (or, at least, now). On the other hand, Visual FoxPro, despite being a brilliant and extremely comprehensive database coding language, is (shall we say) a bit yesterday.

However, I make no apologies for this, due to the fact that I am, indeed, "yesterday's man" (as has so often been stated), and have spent many thousands of hours coding in the various incremental versions of FoxPro (not to mention dBASE, and all the rest)!

Also, as TM was developed from an earlier work in FoxPro for DOS (see the other download), there are "legacy" issues (...nice BS words, eh?) to be considered here as well.

So, no ... if you are just starting out, go for whatever is the current "state of the art". That would be SQL, supposedly.

Meanwhile, I have discontinued giving out my source code. The reason is, quite frankly, is that I am looking for a buyer to take it all off my hands! A secondary reason would have to be that no-one else has ever come back to me having done anything useful with it! So, what's the point?

But, having said that, I imagine I may be able to help (in general terms) with whatever it is you're trying to do. After all (as I keep banging-on about), some of us here are into collaboration! smile

Last edited by Huw; 10/07/20 3:03 PM. Reason: Updated link

Technologist
Technologist
Thanks Geoff,

I suppose that you've been working hard for your projects and you sound to me like a wise man. Hope to have your advices on my way....

we will keep in touch, and thanks again for your help (now and in the future).

Jose

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Frankly, when I see some of the contributions made by others, not just on this forum, but some of the other tech forums as well, I feel humbled and my own crude efforts pale into insignificance by comparison! It's the power of the 'net, and long may it remain free!

I'm thinking especially of Open Source software (and freeware), some of which is absolutely brilliant. And also some of the machine code and hardware projects freely presented by so-called "hobbyists" on some of the classic computer sites. Plus the sheer depth and breadth of knowledge shared on some of those sites. Genius stuff!

As the saying has it, if we each do a little, we can all do a lot. smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Huw has been very kind in hosting the famous TaskMaster system in the downloads section of this site (and it is good to see that downloads continue to be made), but it hardly seems right to bother him with the small, incremental improvements that get coded as-and-when now.

From now on, if anyone wants the very latest version, it would be better if they made enquiries at this website.

A few people have remarked that the system needs a new interface. It needs "refreshing", I am told. Fair enough. But I don't have either the time or inclination for (what I regard as) cosmetic changes like that. In fact I should add that I am seeking a buyer for the TaskMaster code. Any interested party should feel free to get in touch. I would be happy to let it go, and let someone else carry it forward. smile

Novice
Novice
Hello Geoff,

Greetings!

I am interested with the software. Actually i have also develop a software to be use in our company. I calle it Asset Management and Tracking Sytem.I have use the Microsoft Access.
With this forum i hope i can learn more how to develop such database. I have no formal schooling about programming, just reading and trying it by myself.

Please sent the database to carlionheart@yahoo.com

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Welcome to the forum, Carlito. smile

Actually (and as reported elsewhere) my TaskMaster code is in pieces at the moment, as I go through it all converting where necessary to permit users to edit (change, screw-up, whatever) form titles, labels etc. In this fashion, they (the users) will be able to configure the look and feel of the system to suit (as far as possible) their own requirements, and language (within the limitations imposed by whichever character sets their PC has available).

It's a lot of work (much of it mind-numbing), and has taken me most of the summer (so it's just as well that there hasn't really been any summer this year in England).

I have done next to nothing with *Access myself, but appreciate that it is often bundled with other MS applications, and is, therefore, generally available. I do most of my own coding in FoxPro, which has served me well over the years.

You can download an earlier version of TM here. It follows the more traditional "equipment repairs and maintenance manager" layout, rather than "asset management and tracking" per se. As usual, there are some "known bugs" in there, for which I can but apologise. The current iteration has the same well-tried look and feel, but (as I say) employs a substantially different approach "behind the scenes" (with, for example, look-up tables for form titles, field labels, tool tips and such).

You may also be interested in the Mariner project, which was an attempt at collaboration. You may need to ask Huw for access to that thread. Unfortunately (and for reasons that I have yet to fathom), Mariner seems to have "withered on the vine", as it were. This is hardly unknown, however, as software projects that tend towards complete applications require a heavy commitment in terms of hours spent hacking away (and we're talking about thousands of hours, rather than hundreds).

Yes, as is well known, I am open to collaboration myself. And don't worry about being "self-taught". To my mind, it remains the only (that is, best) way! smile

* Joe could well be the man you need, there.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz, trat, Mitul Patel
10,178 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,061
Posts73,725
Members10,178
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020