Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DAS #43266 20/12/09 12:11 PM
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

My "minimal toolkit" is still ... er, under development. There have been some good comments posted above, and I agree with most of them.

Especially:-

Originally Posted By: Scott Barlow
I think the general rule is if the tool can not do two jobs, its taking up too much space.

A Leatherman tool, Swiss Army knife ... yeah, that's the idea. Walking back to the workshop is all very well if you're based at a hospital ... but not everyone is.

Noticing that this thread is over four years old now, I would say that the stuff I've used the most of since then is indeed Label Remover (Maplin's works for me). The only other purchase that springs to mind has been a stock of lead-free solder! smile

That ... and the PPS-10 reported earlier. Plus a decent general purpose toolkit that was on special offer at Halfords three years ago now (hardly "minimal" material, though).

One last thought. What has become of our old friend exitwound, I wonder. We haven't heard from him for a while.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
bam Offline
Scholar
Scholar
Can I suggest that you take the can of WD40 out of the toolkit?
It is not a lubricant as most people think but a waterproofing agent. If you spray some on a clean surface it will dry out to a sticky brown wax. Because it sticks dirt so any contacts, it makes most electrical problems worse. Replace it with a spray can of 3 in 1.https://www.ebme.co.uk/forums/images/icons/default/thumbs_up.gif

bam #43276 22/12/09 10:44 AM
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Yes. You're right of course. We've discussed WD-40 before.

"Water Displacement - 40th Attempt"

But don't worry, to go with the Perfect Toolkit I also have the Perfect Box of Aerosols* (another thread, perhaps**).

I find that WD-40 comes in handy when mixed (in small doses) with other products (and rubbed in with Emery paper etc.) in an attempt to shift stubborn stains, brighten metallic materials (as in rusty) and the like. smile

* Bottles, Cans, Tins ... whatever.

** For me, the interesting thing about service consumables is hunting down common or garden alternatives for the proprietary - meaning expensive - brands!

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Originally Posted By: Geoff Hannis
The only other purchase that springs to mind has been a stock of lead-free solder!

Of course, what I actually meant there was non-lead-free solder, if you know what I mean. That is, good old traditional 60/40. That seems to be the only way I can get a half decent joint ... especially when "out in the field" (and in less than ideal conditions)!

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Here's something a bit different ... an Overseas Client needs information about (what we might call) a "standard list" of biomed tools and test equipment (amongst other things).

OK, how long is a piece of string? I have some stuff laying around somewhere (I hope) - lists that I have used before. But, as time is short (as usual, that is), I was wondering if anyone has any up-to-date thoughts?

The only other "guidance" I have available at the moment, is that the workshops concerned are "small". However (and on the other hand), the guys concerned shall be supporting whole regions of healthcare facilities ... that is, will need to travel "up country" when required (so it would be nice to keep our toolkits etc. on the handy - portable - side)!

For what it's worth, the Client is looking for similar input regarding Plumbers', Building Services', Electricians' and Mechanical Workshops, including toolkits specific to each tradesman (including Refrigeration Technicians)! smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

What do you have for me, Jandre?

Or ... how about any friends still out in the Magic Kingdom? Lists of stuff like this were very much in vogue out there, if I remember rightly. Do we know anyone like that, I wonder - Neil?

And, of course ... what about all those new PFI hospitals in the UK? OK, don't tell me, they were executed without any lists! whistle

Dreamer
Dreamer
my favorite minimal toolkit (as i leave it on site when i'm in mission):
bost smalls screwdrivers set(+ -)
2 medium sizes philips + posidiv + flat + torx screwdrivers
a set of allen keys , a st of torx keys
a 1/4 rachet wrench kit , from 4mm to 13mm
a adjustable wrench , a strong split joint plier
a set of surgical clamps , strait and curved
a set of pliers , 2 cutting pliers small and medium
a cutter , 50 mm white tape , a 3m measurement tape
batterie soldering iron (antex or weller) , 40w soldering iron
desoldering wick , low temp solder , regular solder
a basic autorange multimeter with thermal probe
various heahtshrink sizes and colors
a set of superglue tubes , liquide and gel
usually all this can fit in a small bag and i use aluminium boxes to have fuses , bolts and nuts , various clips , springs , wires and somes "found in the drawer" stuff.
and , of course , my favorite Leatherman Skeltool with the bit kit
http://www.leatherman.com/accessories/product/Bit_Kit
http://www.leatherman.com/product/Skeletool_CX
the result :
http://picasaweb.google.fr/jean.michel.bonjour/BiomedCafe#5515364587119194306

if you have sugestions , i'll apreciatev:-)

Br

jean michel

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Hey Jean Michel ... that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for! Thanks for that.

But I won't comment further until I've had some time to digest it all. smile

Those are interesting photos, too, my Friend. There are some "classics" there, for sure.

Originally Posted By: fmic.biomedical
(as i leave it on site when i'm in mission)

I like that idea. It's what we used to do in some of my Previous Lives. In one place (country) it was, shall we say, "ill advised" to carry too much "shiny" (attractive) kit around in the Peugeot (and there's the clue to the location, right there), for reasons that you will no doubt appreciate! "Pre-positioned" T&TE*, and a "Guest House" at our disposal at each site (not to mention HF radio communications that, er, never seemed to work).
Oh yes, that's more like it!

* Tools and Test Equipment

Hero
Hero
Geoff, Check your email please

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Thanks for that, Neil. As we know, it's always nice to have (someone else's) lists to hand - it helps in marshalling the thoughts!

I must admit that I'm getting a bit lazy (or maybe that should be efficient) these days when it comes to tools and such. Now that I'm back, and well entrenched, in the Civilised World ... when I find that I need something I generally have a quick look on eBay. And (nine times out of ten) it will be there, at reasonable cost. And delivered to the door - sometimes the very next day!

Where I am at the moment we have a realisation that we need to get stuff into kits, ready to take along according to the type of job (or servicing) in question. We have made a (hesitant) start, but a lot more needs to be done.

I had to resort to my "reserve" soldering iron whilst out on a job the other day. On the drive back I was racking my brain trying to work out where I had left my soldering kit (or, more like, which of the usual suspects had "borrowed" it). But when I got back to the workshop, yes ... there it was, sitting amognst the chaos beneath my bench (and probably wondering why I hadn't taken it along)!

Yes, the will to organise remains ... but (as seems to be usual here), time is in short supply. As I may have mentioned, we simply need more man-hours (more staff, but of the "useful" kind).

Perhaps I should mention the related topic of "servicing kits" as well. We are keen on those, too. But where do you draw the line? How do you avoid (expensive) duplication? Also (and this seems to be a Big Question), how do you enforce a bit of, er, discipline when it comes to checking them (and re-stocking if need be) ready to take out the next time? smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020