Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#45609 28/04/10 5:39 AM
Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
I was just looking through some of the jobs listed on the site (got a bit bored with the other things I was doing) and noticed one from Salford Hospital Trust that stated at the bottom, "We prefer to employ non smokers".
Now I would have thought that in these days of non-discriminatory employment policy, etc, etc, you would not be allowed to make a statement like that or is it quite acceptable to discriminate against people who have a tobacco addiction?

(and yes, before you ask, I am a smoker shades

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Mentor
Mentor
whether it is illegal or not I can't say. But I just can't see the rationale behind it. There's no real difference between an engineer who smokes and an engineer who doesn't, work-wise.

I love deadlines, I like the wooshing sound they make as they fly by.
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Even breathing is a criminal offence in the UK these days ... hadn't you heard? frown

Meanwhile, one of the nice things about being a small time operator, is that you are exempted from some of that PC BS.

Myself, I would never employ a smoker (plus a whole list of other* categories of folk as well). Is that illegal? Frankly I don't care. I'm more interested in being around blokes who are willing and able to crack on and get the work done! smile

@Cyber:- sorry Mate, but I can see the rationale. Here are a couple of clues:-

1) Smokers "need" smoke breaks.
2) They also stink.

Both points have impact on co-workers (and the team comes before the individual ... in my book, anyway).

* Full list can be provided on request.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Philosopher
Philosopher
The following has laso been added to NHS jobs:

Applications from Tier 2 candidates who require Tier 2 immigration status to work in the UK are welcome, but such candidates will not be appointed to the post if there are a sufficient number of other suitable and available candidates, as the PCT will, in those circumstances, be unable to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test as required by the Border Immigration Authority.

Is that discrimination??

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Perhaps only those who can understand such mumbo jumbo need apply? frown

Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
No, don't think it is. This seems to me to be a statement that brings to notice some sort of rule under the immigration laws (ie, you are welcome to apply but if there is someone local we will give them priority).

My issue with the original statement is that if "one" were to say "we prefer to employ white Anglo-Saxon protestant males who are under 25 years old and don't have any sort of disability" you would be in court so fast your feet would not hit the ground but evidently similar treatment of smokers is just fine.

Oh yeah, and Geoff, thanks for the " smokers stink" reference, I feel so hurt........ wink

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Sorry Dave ... but someone under 25 years of age is very unlikely to fit the bill! smile

Meanwhile ... "British Jobs for British Workers"? Hardly. Can I assume that you're not too familiar with the British National Health Service, then?

Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
Quote:
but someone under 25 years of age is very unlikely to fit the bill!

eh? come on Geoff, let's try to stick to the point here.

"SMOKERS ARE PEOPLE TOO"....

smokers rights!!, smokers rights!!, smokers rights!!,,smokers rights!!, smokers rights!!,

Last edited by DaveC in Oz; 28/04/10 10:37 AM.

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Live and Let Live, Mate ... no problems there.

Just as long as I'm not expected to pay for other people's "lifestyle choices" (or whatever the current PC terminology is). frown

Philosopher
Philosopher
But have smokers given up their right to treatment on the NHS for vascular and lung disease?? Watch this space with a new government and restricted budgets.
For example: All patients who are classified as obese will be required to undertake a 6 month "lifestyle" course prior to any operation.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Geoff Hannis, daisizhou, Neoteny), 512 guests, and 511 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,708
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020