Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Philosopher
Philosopher
Sorry it was me driving to fast yesterday.

3.5 hours to drive 148 miles mostly on motorways to get to John’s Seminar on time.

Lee

Don't forget "we've never had it so good".
Lee S #46397 26/05/10 8:17 PM
Umi Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage

Soldier.

You stay up for 16 hours.He stays up for days on end.You take a warm shower to help you wake up.He goes weeks without running water.You complain of a 'headache' and call in sick.He gets shot at as other are hit,and keeps moving forward.You talk trash about your buddies that aren't with you.He knows he may never see any of his ever again.You complain about how hot it is.He wears his heavy gear,not daring to take off his helmet to wipe his forehead.You get mad at the waiter for getting your order wrong.He doesn't get to eat today.Your mad that your class got held 5 minutes over.He's told he will be held over an extra 2 months.You roll your eyes when your baby cries.He gets a letter with pictures of his new baby,and wonders if they'll ever meet.If you dont forward this we will just see how conceited you really are.

UMi-007

"WORK SMART NOT HARD !"
Umi #46398 26/05/10 8:22 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Who is the "you" in that story, then, Umish? frown

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Umi Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
YoU=me

UMi-007

"WORK SMART NOT HARD !"
Umi #46451 27/05/10 11:44 PM
Scholar
Scholar
"If you dont forward this we will just see how conceited you really are."
Conceited - Holding or characterized by an unduly high opinion of oneself; vain.
So - if "you" don't forward someone else's pompous holier-than-thou drivel, you have false pride and an exaggerated sense of self-importance..... I don't think so, it's not even vaguely logical, especially comparing one person who may come home with a skinny latte to another who may come home in a body-bag to do so. That's just sad, and I hope vets and current service men and women, and the shades of all those who died in wars over the years forgive the people who sent it to you in the first place, especially with 31st May being Memorial Day in the USA.

Lozan Flats crew, Fautley's Fliers, Amstel and Arak.....
Teflon #46455 28/05/10 5:45 AM
Hero
Hero
Vanity, the lowest form flattery.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Super Hero
Super Hero

See also:- patronising. frown

As we used to say - "get some in"!

I guess I need to elaborate on that (for the benefit of those who have never served) - it means something along the lines, of "until you have gained some experience, and earned your spurs, it's best to keep your trap shut"!

Frankly, I wish that Mr.Cameron et al would bring back National Service (or, indeed, conscription) ... then everyone would be able to take their chances. Literally, and in all senses of the word.

Scholar
Scholar
Isn't it weird..... some of the best times I had were running around Salisbury Plain, Winchester, Aldershot, Bisley, Pangbourne and the like with a heavy pack, being shouted at and eating strange tinned stuff in a tent with eyes still stinging from tear-gas. Makes me sound like a masochist (deffo NOT!) but there was something about the cameraderie, and the pulling together, and all that stuff that made loud noises and spat lead and tracer rounds.
Sitting in the mess at Winchester, eating slops, sitting to attention when the SM came around..... "Any complaints soldiers?"..... "No SIR!"..... whilst thinking yes, complaints - why is this food so gross and why is there bromide in my bloody tea, SIR!. Apparently they didn't put bromide in the tea at all - it just tasted like it <grin>.
Happy days - I just thank the proverbial I never saw action and support, to the hilt, those who did and still do. In fact, part of me wishes I actually had.....

Lozan Flats crew, Fautley's Fliers, Amstel and Arak.....
Teflon #46469 28/05/10 10:24 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Aye to all that. And yes, the bromide thing was indeed a myth.

Originally Posted By: Teflon
In fact, part of me wishes I actually had.....

Funny that ... one of my Old Mates said exactly the same thing to me just the other day. Colin is about seventy years old now, and (for some strange reason ... but it could have been that he was in the RAF before transferring to the REME) never served in Northern Ireland etc. smile

But (rightly or wrongly) those presently serving in the British Army have to be amongst the most battle hardened troops in the world. The real stuff too (ie, not like keeping the "peace" in NI or Cyprus - or, for that matter, "holding the fort" in Germany).

rug Offline
Technologist
Technologist
Sometimes war never realy hits you until you are directly affected. Canadian troops have been battling in Afghanistan for many years and we have lost many troops. My daughter's boyfriend just left for his first tour of duty. His specialty in the army?
bomb disposal expert. I worry everyday.

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 414 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,064
Posts73,741
Members10,180
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020