Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
Originally Posted By: Geoff Hannis
But be clear that the UK and England are not synonymous. One day (during my lifetime, I hope) us English will take our country back. smile

Uh oh... will John & I be evicted? frown

Umi #46675 05/06/10 7:37 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Once again ... England is part of the so-called United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That is the status quo. Meanwhile, the only reason some of us tolerate being part of the European Union is the hope that England will once again become a distinct country (even if it means being called a "region") free of the burden of our neighbours.

Just look at (a map of) the recent election results and I'm sure you'll see what I mean. frown

Meanwhile, if we are truly "BER" ... why do the dross of the world still consume so much effort in trying (and, in general, succeeding) to get in here?

@Huw:- actually I'm thinking more about culture, and being free of the shackles of so-called liberals ... and stuff like that. In short, we are expected to respect the way of life of others, so as not to "offend" (and all the rest), whilst our own English traditions are blocked, mocked, and generally kicked into touch. Whilst all the time (as I have mentioned a few times before) shelling out right, left and centre (both within the UK, and - of course - overseas). Are we supposed to feel guilty or something? If so, when will it end? frown

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Huw Offline
Hero
Hero
Originally Posted By: Geoff Hannis
@Huw:- actually I'm thinking more about culture, and being free of the shackles of so-called liberals ... and stuff like that. In short, we are expected to respect the way of life of others, so as not to "offend" (and all the rest), whilst our own English traditions are blocked, mocked, and generally kicked into touch. Whilst all the time (as I have mentioned a few times before) shelling out right, left and centre (both within the UK, and - of course - overseas). Are we supposed to feel guilty or something? If so, when will it end? frown

I'm quite sure that there are many that feel the same way. Unfortunately, there are too many 'loonies'* willing to take advantage of that fact.

* I'm talking parties rather than individuals - although there are enough of them.

Huw #46679 06/06/10 7:11 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Looking at things from a totally unprejudiced and non-judgemental perspective (my own view, believe it or not)... we are (that is, England is) simply too over-crowded. frown

Myself, I'm not against "loonies" per se (as long as they stay within the Law). After all, they have the courage of their convictions (whilst most of my countrymen simply remain as sheep).

Umi #46680 06/06/10 7:16 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

OK, Umish ... back to "Hints for Life":-

No.1 : get one! smile

Umi Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
Meanwhile, if we are truly "BER" ... why do the dross of the world still consume so much effort in trying (and, in general, succeeding) to get in here?

The reason that so many attempt to get into UK is because Britain's soft touch benefits system has been exposed by a spanish student who recently bragged how easy it is for European migrants to claim handouts!

The sterling pound in comparison to other currencies goes a long way back home which ever village or mountain they came from!

UMi-007

"WORK SMART NOT HARD !"
Umi #46735 07/06/10 6:15 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Hopefully all that [censored] will be coming to an end shortly ... see today's news (speech by our new Prime Minister). smile

Philosopher
Philosopher
Hint for Life.

Breathe in.............................................
Breathe out............................................

No.2 The Village

Hero
Hero
Relax, what you cannot do today can always be done tomorrow and if not the day after, after all there are only 24 hours in each day.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Umi #46950 14/06/10 3:36 AM
Umi Offline OP
Sage
OP Offline
Sage
The Old Mule

This parable is told of a farmer who owned an old mule. The mule fell into the farmer's well. The farmer heard the mule praying or whatever mules do when they fall into wells. After carefully assessing the situation, the farmer sympathized with the mule, but decided that neither the mule nor the well was worth the trouble of saving.

Instead, he called his neighbors together, told them what had happened...
and enlisted them to help haul dirt to bury the old mule in the well and put him out of his misery.

Initially, the old mule was hysterical! But as the farmer and his neighbors continued shoveling and the dirt hit his back...
a thought suddenly dawned on him. Every time a shovel load of dirt landed on his back.
he would shake it off and step up!

This he did, blow after blow.
Shake it off and step up...
shake it off and step up...
shake it off and step up!
He repeated this thought to encourage himself. No matter how painful the blows, or how distressing the situation seemed the old mule fought off panic and just kept right on shake it off and stepping up!

It wasn't long before the old mule, battered and exhausted, stepped triumphantly over the wall of that well!

What seemed like it would bury him actually helped him...
all because of the manner in which he handle his adversity.

That's life!
If we face our problems and respond to them positively, and refuse to give in to panic, bitterness, or self-pity....
the adversities that come along to bury us usually have within them the very real potential to benefit us!

UMi-007

"WORK SMART NOT HARD !"
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020