Print Thread
Rate Thread
Redundancies
#48927 09/09/10 11:56 AM
webbie Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Have there been many Redundancies in our field of work? Public, Privet, UK and beyond?

Re: Redundancies
webbie #48928 09/09/10 12:08 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

In my 36 years of involvement in this field, I cannot recall biomed techs ever being chucked on the heap. Guys have been fired (myself included) for all sorts of reasons, but not made redundant, in my experience.

In the private sector, when companies have merged, causing Service Departments to consolidate and stuff like that, guys have usually been found suitable work someplace.

In reality, it has always been (and continues to be) a "sellers' market". Just as long, that is (and as I keep saying) the "seller" - the biomed tech - is willing to move around a bit if need be, and also be actually willing to work!

As always, there continues to be a shortage of good technicians (and yes, I am still looking for them). smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
webbie #48929 09/09/10 12:12 PM
Mentor
Mentor
I know that some techs that retire are not being replaced and that others are being moved internally to reduce numbers in departments.

Scott Barlow #48930 09/09/10 12:14 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero

"Natural wastage", I think it's called, Scott. smile

To make way for the Next Generation (of Fertile Young Minds), hopefully.

As long as kit remains to be fixed, someone needs to be there to fix it!

Geoff Hannis #48931 09/09/10 12:44 PM
Philosopher
Philosopher
I think another matter worth noting is that I have seen a lot of people come into the biomed industry from other fields but seen very, very few leave biomed to go to other disciplines.

I have always felt that we are(I am)privileged to use our skills in electronics to assist in healthcare.

I was trained in marine radio (long time back) but my move into the biomed world has allowed me to see some incredible things. To stand at the anaesthetist side and watch the surgeon do an open heart is, to my mind, a real privilege. Neuro is stunning, seeing the skull cut out and a tumour removed makes one gasp. Face lifts are just plain vile !! To stand in the middle of an ICU and know that the correct technical function of all the systems is down to you (and your team) is a wonderful feeling.

I'm sorry, getting a bit "soppy" here. Must be the wine boggle

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
DaveC in Oz #48932 09/09/10 12:47 PM
Super Hero
Super Hero
Originally Posted By: DaveC in Oz
... seeing the skull cut out and a tumour removed makes one gasp.

Especially if you're the patient! whistle

Sorry Dave, I don't really do "soppy". But don't worry, Mate, your points are well taken.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (michal1, DaveC in Oz, Huw), 552 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Madhavesh, UHPNTpetersa, Abdul-Aziz, Anam, Phil-h
9676 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,579
Posts71,695
Members9,676
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020