Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Super Hero
Super Hero

Nice one, Mate (wish I had thought of it myself)! smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Technologist
Technologist
Dear friends!
To my experience, I found, a number of instruments returned after repairs with out connecting the earth terminal inside the unit (either get disconnected or loosely connected)But while doing functional test, they may be well. But it is our prime duty to test the electrical safety test, particularly cardialogy equipments.
Inaddition to the CMIS programme, electrical safety test has to be done for the safety of patient and operator after every service.

A.Thiyagarajan,
Master
Master
I don't want to open the proverbial can of worms......but surely thats the whole point in applying the new EN62353.

Malcolm.
ps.After more than 30 years of electrical safety testing I don't think I've chalked up 50 failures(most of which resolved by replacing the mains lead)

Super Hero
Super Hero

Let the can be re-opened! Some of us sadder ones on here love this stuff, after all!

But who are you replying to, Malcolm? Chris (at his original post) or Rajan? Different questions, I'm afraid!

But, either way, let's not wait for the implementation of this or that standard, but carry on doing the right thing as we have always done:- should EST be carried out following a repair? Yes, of course. Biomed is all about patient safety. Nothing less. smile

PS: "proper" EST includes intelligent examination of the mains cable and plug (not to mention the equipment under test itself). And (in my book, at least) checking the fuse ratings as well!

Master
Master
Hi Geoff,
I agree whole heartedly,I've been
implementing the '353 since January this year and find this norm far more comprehensive than just extracting the EST from the 601.
Thank the lord our Italian plugs dont have fuses!!!!!

Malcolm.

Super Hero
Super Hero

At least 62353 is readable!

But I should imagine that many NHS biomed sheds will simply carry on with their testers set on "601 auto" as usual!

Don't you just weep when you hear kit groaning under "Mains on Applied Part(s)"? frown

Leaving aside the issue of failing IEC mains leads, which could be addressed by regular replacement, is there still a need to safety test modern medical equipment or do we continue to do this out of habit.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Welcome to the forum, Guffy. smile

The question you pose is one that comes up on the forum quite regularly. About once a year, I would say.

Habit, perhaps. But a good habit, I would suggest - especially if carried out with a bit of thought, not to mention eyes open!

Anyway, I can't see it being kicked into touch these days, what with the 'elf 'n' safety brigade being so much to the fore! smile

Hi Geoff

As a department we spend a lot of time performing safety tests on all our equipment at least once a year.

Is there any documented evidence to suggest that these tests need to be done yearly or could the tests be done every 2 or 3 years.

Some manufactures have changed their service intervals to either two years (Draeger) or 3 years (Covidien) unless these companies assume that we will perform the tests in between their visits.

Super Hero
Super Hero

There have been many earlier discussions about all this.

If you find the time, check out the Search facility.

You will come across threads like this ... and this, for example.

OK ... just one more (and a bit more light hearted, too). smile

Issues surrounding IEC cables have also been well aired.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020