Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

You are, I'm afraid (as far as the NHS goes, at least). frown

Happily, it's not my business to "get rid of people"; but I believe that it's true to say (and yes, I could cite examples from my own experiences) that "certain groups" are pretty well *bullet proof within the NHS (if you catch my drift).

Don't worry, Mate ... you've got four years in which to learn. In fact, I look forward to hearing about how you regard all this after that time!

Meanwhile, seeing that you mentioned it (and others may not be aware) - here is one take on the SA80 story (the short version being:- "you get what you pay for").

* 5.56 mm or any other!

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Hero
Hero
Jocky, once you have completed the 4 years in Cyprus you may join quite a few of us who never want to return to the UK for living and work purposes again (holidays yes) once you get used to the warm weather and different working conditions fitting back in becomes very difficult.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Philosopher
Philosopher
Agreed grin

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

(not even for holidays)

"Fitting back in" ... why would you want to? frown

Scholar
Scholar
It seems everyone likes to 'bag' the UK, it seems to be a national passtime!

Every country has it's issues social and financial, and you'd have to be pretty naive to believe everything the media pumps out, the media has it's own agenda.

Being an expat for just over 2 years has given me a different prespective, it's the easiest thing in the world to focus on the negatives of a country.
It takes a bit more wisdom and foresight to see through the surface and what is really on offer.

Dom

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

"What is really on offer" ... what are you talking about, Dom ... Sainsbury's? frown

Personally speaking (and for what it's worth), I was born here, Mate (and not yesterday, either). It's my place. You know, where and what my forebears lived and died for. I have nowhere else to go. But I don't take anything, whether it's "on offer", or not. I simply stand aside, observe, and then lend a hand when and where I can.

I have also spent over half my working life outside of the UK. Naïve? Hardly. So I don't need any lectures, thank you very much.

Some of us just want our country back. Is that too much to hope for?

Anyway (seeing that you sound so homesick), when are you coming back? You know, just to see what's on offer? whistle

Dreamer
Dreamer
I'm with Dom on this. I look around at what's going on in other parts of the world and ask myself,"Are things REALLY that bad?" Of course not. Pah, doom-mongers the lot! I'm looking forward to getting back to the UK and will fully embrace it when the time comes.

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

We're getting off topic now, so I don't want to prolong this "debate" too much. But you are a young bloke, Jocky. And one who speaks from within the relatively insulated world of HM Forces. Remember, Mate, that I've been there too.

Comparisons with the [censored]-holes of the world just don't cut the mustard, I'm afraid. There was a time when the UK was indeed the "best country in the world" (and it may still be). But by now it should be "paradise on earth", but it is not.

Regrettably, ours is a Kingdom divided. And one of the sharpest divisions in our society, and one which has grown progressively wider since the 1960's, is between the liberal intelligentsia and the rest of us. Unfortunately, their voices are the ones which are most influential and most welcome in the broadcast media (ie, those who daily make it clear to us what they think our values should be).

Those of us who remember the 1950's can but stand and weep. Unfortunately, short of illegal activities, every other avenue to improve the situation is denied us. In short, we are expected to "put up and shut up" (and keep on paying the taxes).

It was Remembrance Sunday today, and (as always) it was a privilege to stand among the decent folk of England. But only a fool would deny that there are many other inhabitants of this Sceptred (but over-crowded) Isle who not only never show respect at gatherings such as these, but also do all they can to undermine our traditional British way of life. Yet we have to tolerate them (by force of law). What do we gain from their "contribution"? Whatever it is, I for one can surely manage very well without it.

In addition we have millions of folk who expect others to pay for their "life-style choices" (the main one being their "right" not to work). There are also angry, aggressive, people wherever you go. Generally in a great tearing rush (getting nowhere fast). In short - a lot of unhappy bunnies. Why is that, I wonder?

I could go on, but will end there.

Meanwhile, the lucky ones escape to a better life in places like Australia. Why do you think they do that, Jocky? frown

Garrith Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
smilewinkJust to answer a few points that this vacancy & its pay banding has raised.
Yes - this EME department was created back in the mid to late '70s by the Regional Health Authority (SW Thames), since then we have been devolved to Surrey Area Health Authority, SW Surrey District Health Authority, a Mental Health Unit (I can hear the comments now !) & finally, since 1990 The District General Hospital - aka The Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Originally we were MTO's, then District Works officers, now Estates Officers. History lesson over !

Agenda for change wasn't very kind to many of Clinical Technologists confused, however, the National profiles were there to be 'honed' & 'amended', JAQ's were agreed by independant panels & the support from our Management in Estates was forthcoming & so rewarded by 'higher than average' bandings. laugh

It may well be that, other Management teams were not so enlightened or the business case wasn't strong enough to reward their EME teams - I have no idea. confused

No doubt the number of applications will be high, but quality is paramount together with the actual ability to get the job done, with the minimum of 'agro' for all concerned is what we're looking for.

Take care y'all smilewink

Sometimes the gene pool just gets muddy.
Dreamer
Dreamer
Well, for good or bad, come what may, I am looking forward to a 'normal' life whichever avenue I go down. Ideally that'll be in Scotland (I love the rain!) but I realise that that will be work dependent. Bring it on!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (Geoff Hannis, daisizhou, fanie, 1 invisible), 397 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz, trat, Mitul Patel
10,178 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,061
Posts73,725
Members10,178
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020