Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes, I remember the "Block Visa" problems very well. We had a biomed whose Iqama mentioned "Agricultural Worker" (very apt)!

I can't see what the visa has to do with professional registration, though, I must admit. smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
KM Offline
Philosopher
Philosopher
This maybe off topic a bit.
On the subject of jobs and certs etc.
I dont think i've ever been to are conducted an interview (nhs or otherwise) where i've not been asked for the sight of my certs and for that sake the originals not copies.
Otherwise how do they know you are what you are?
Also certs arent just a piece of paper. They are evidence of your success.
For those of you that have indentures and the likes they are like gold dust. Whatever you do dont throw them if you are unlucky enough to come up against someone else on a short list who says they have the same but no proof, you will always win hands down.

Philosopher
Philosopher
Originally Posted By: Neil Porter
Geoff, next time you call out one of the following: - the TV repairman, washing machine man, the cable guy, telephone engineer. be sure to ask for all his documentation, certificates even ask him which school he went to. Is this what the world is coming to, no trust unless you join somebodies club???
Funny that you should mention that, over in Saudi you might not have heard but the Carphone warehouse's support department The Geek Squad had just this problem. So you phone up with a computer problem or a problem with your fridge and what do you get? A Gas fitter! Apparently they do a lot of gas work so if they get stuck they just send a gas fitter.

Philosopher
Philosopher
Going back to Chis's comment about cost. If the VRCT becomes official then the estimated costs mooted for registration would be approx. £200 to register and upwards of £95 p.a.

cost aside chapter 8 shows the "bullying" nature of the VRCT a not very veiled threat to those who don't toe the line.

We still don't know how it affects service engineers both field and workshop based who do not work for the NHS. Surely the public need assurances that when we send a piece of kit to Philips, GE, Keymed etc. that they have been worked on by "Registered CLinical Technologists"? Next time you talk to an engineer from one of the manufacturers, ask for their registration number! If he/she cannot provide it, turn tham away!

How do we deal with the more basic equipment, worked on by staff on lower grades who can not register? Many of the more basic devices still have the ability to "harm a patient".

Super Hero
Super Hero

1) Just because someone has paid his subs, and is on a list somewhere, doesn't make him immune from causing harm (unintentional or otherwise).

2) Private service companies carry Liability Insurance (which also doesn't make anyone immune).

3) EU "rules" seemingly permit idiotic physicians to practise in the UK ... so why not "Clinical Technologists" of similar standing, as well (with - hopefully - far less opportunity to do real harm)?

I could go on ... but will leave things there for now. frown

Dave H #50908 13/12/10 10:40 PM
Expert
Expert
Yes, sometimes I do wonder why is it that the authorities require people to pass tests, register on national lists and pay for insurance myself. For example:

1) Just because someone has paid for driving lessons (and passed a test), and is on a list somewhere (DVLA hopefully), doesn't make them immune from having a car crash (unintentional or otherwise).

2) Private companies offer car accident insurance (which also doesn't make anyone immune from having a car crash).

3) UK "rules" seemingly permit idiots to drive in the UK...so why not "some people with a dementing illness" as well.

I could go on and on...but will leave things there for now. I do hope I have made my point.

Super Hero
Super Hero

On point 2) ... I have always wondered why, with all the resources at our government's disposal (cameras everywhere, for example), uninsured vehicles are not constantly being pulled over, impounded (whatever), with full punitive measures applied as proscribed by law.

The same goes for unregistered vehicles, and those without a valid Road Fund Licence.

But are biomeds going to be called upon, then, Mike (and subsequently punished), for not being "certified"? I guess I can answer that myself:- the plan is to debar them from working within the government health services* on Airstrip One! Why? Because they refuse to conform! frown

Here are some more numbered points for you:-

1) Are "unlisted" biomeds to be regarded as criminals, pariahs (or simply "awkward")?

2) What about biomeds coming in from within the EU (for example), (what used to be known as) the Commonwealth, and beyond? Does "beyond" get special priviledges?

3) What about the Human Rights of the "lifestyle choice" of the non-conforming biomed? "Hey, don't diss me, Man"!

* The largest employer in the EUSSR.

Hero
Hero
Groucho Marx "I do not want to join a club that will have me as a member"

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Super Hero
Super Hero

I never thought much of the Marx Brothers, myself. Too zany to be funny, I reckon.

But their uncle ... Karl* ... now there was a real joker! smile

* And yet another who gained refuge in London. Which, it seems, is par for the course.

Expert
Expert
Surely Geoff as an 'old soldier' you had to conform in the past. Perhaps that is the real issue here (i.e. to conform or not to conform). If you don't wish to conform now, then that is entirely your choice. Exactly as it is the 'authorities' choice to head toward registration. With regards to your numbered points:

1. I suspect that they would be treated the same way as any person who attempted to practice as an unqualified Radiographer.

2. I would hope that they have to qualify in the same way as UK Radiographers do.

3. Try becoming a non-conforming Radiographer/Nurse etc and see what happens. Would love to see the Human Rights defence used.

The point is this - registration (in whatever form) is going to happen sooner or later. Fighting against it is a complete waste of time and effort. You may not like that fact, but the fact is still true.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ciaran McGuinness, carl ray, chandrasenan5115), 382 guests, and 521 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nor, ReubenEngineer, Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal
10,182 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,067
Posts73,746
Members10,182
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020