Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Huw Offline OP
Hero
OP Offline
Hero
One for the conspiracy theorists....

Quote:
The Guardian is reporting that a pair of British security researchers have discovered the iPhone is keeping track of user's locations without their permission. It seems the phone stores a secret file containing a record of latitude and longitude over time. The file is also synced to your computer.

"Apple has made it possible for almost anybody - a jealous spouse, a private detective - with access to your phone or computer to get detailed information about where you've been," Pete Warden, one of the researchers, told the Guardian.

http://ow.ly/4EkCn

Hero
Hero
Why do they do this? What use is it - except for Big Brother?
It is worrying that they do this as I can think of no real use for this information except for "covert security". If the file is linked to the PC when you sync where else is is sent to over the airwaves?
RoJo
Nokia N97 and pleased with it (except battery life)

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Super Hero
Super Hero

They do it because they can! frown

My guess would be some sort of sweet arrangement with "Homeland Security".

Welcome to the NWO, Mates. As ever, just another way of keeping the plebs under control. Folk get "hooked" on (must have) technology of all kinds, literally. Hooked by the Powers That Be, that is.

People say that blokes like me should "get a life" (what a tired old phrase that has become). Perhaps they need to step back, smell the roses, and take a look at themselves. It seems that most folk out in the street can't even waddle down to the corner shop without yapping away on their mobile, tweeting, texting, thumbing down their PDA (sometimes all of the above) ... or whatever it is they are doing. Either way, oblivious to the Real World around them. The sad [censored]!

Meanwhile ... Siemens A-55. £ 40 from Woolworths. Remember them? smile

Twitter ye not!

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Expert
Expert
Don't think that Geoff is far off the mark with the comment about 'Homeland Security'.

When Apple make a public statement I guess it will go along the lines of 'We are always seeking to enhance and improve our services to our customers. In no way are we seeking to intrude or invade the private lives of our customers'. It will be words to that effect and probably more.

However, people should see the news report on the BBC this morning. It highlights the fact that in your contract you agree that Apple may track movement history for purposes of blah, blah blah etc.

Nokia G3 (not sure of the model). Not really happy with it either.

Philosopher
Philosopher
Surely this sort of "app" should be turned off by default and only switched on with the express consent of the owner. I bet the News of the World reporters wished they had this a few years ago when they were bugging "celebs"!

Just turn the location setting off in settings, simple! How ever very handy to have on using many of the apps for the phone.

Everybody needs an iphone

Super Hero
Super Hero

Just out of interest, how much does it cost to buy, and then run these toys? smile

Scholar
Scholar
To buy one outright... several hundred pounds.

With a phone contract... well it varies, but as an example, O2* will let you have one for a mere £140 provided you agree to give them £47 per month for the next two years. Seems a bit steep to me.

* other networks are available.

Personally, I get on just fine with my Nokia... something or other. There's no mobile signal at work anyway, and I have a computer at home for all the internet-y stuff.

Nothing's Ever Simple
Philosopher
Philosopher
As an engineer i am constantly amazed at what new technology brings, but sometimes we lose sight of what we "need". Smartphones are great, technology wise, but what happens when they go t*#s up? The old adage "don't put all your eggs in one basket" springs to mind. A similar trend is sweeping through the medical equipment world, multifunction devices. Why do we need computer controlled anaesthetic machines, defibs with full monitoring & recording or infusion pole stands with nine I.P. addresses, RTC, IRDA, cat5 etc.. Medical devices, especially life support types should be easy to operate, extremely robust and the last word in reliability. Over recent years we have seen Defibs that "crash" because of software bugs, problems with anaesthetic machines that caused lengthy downtimes due to programming errors or waititng for the right version of a motherboard to be delivered. These devices should not be reliant on software which can give rise to unexpected outcomes or render the device unuseable. We need to get back to basics, proven designs that can be tested to destruction. I am thinking of starting a club called the "Latter day Luddites" to ptomote the sensible use of new technology and less reliance on software. Probably a bit off topic but it relates to the fact that we rely too much on software that we have no control over.

Super Hero
Super Hero

You're preaching to the converted there, Bill. I can recall banging on about "appropriate technology" as long ago as 1984 (whilst in Nigeria ... all of it falling on deaf ears, of course:- "we want the same equipment as you have in London")! frown

Wants and needs. Two different things entirely. In my opinion, proper hospitals (that is, not monuments to architects, engineers and government ministers) should be minimalistic. Oh yes, back to "less is more".

That way, there would be a fighting chance of keeping them airy (that is, ventilated) and clean. All that, plus decent, basic, grub and a return to basic nursing (aka caring) would surely lead to Positive Patient Outcomes! The UK has tried bunging mega-bucks at government hospitals. All the latest "must-have" kit. Cost-effective? Money well spent? I'll let you decide. But just remember that (as I have said many time before), patients are looked after by nurses not equipment.

But I digress!

Just imagine the fun to be had when all today's "Gee Whiz" techno-crap finds its way out to "other parts of the world" in ten or so years time.

I totally agree that the kit doesn't need to have all those "essential" (not) features, and neither does the anaesthesia machine have to be able to talk to the ... er, toaster!

But ... about the code. The only way to retain any sort of control is to write it yourself, of course. Either that, or re-engineer the garbage (mostly) that's already been written (usually in a tearing rush to be "first to market").

Unfortunately, and as we have discussed before, Britain no longer manufactures much in the way of good old basic kit that could be beaten back into shape with a plough spanner. Be it motor-bikes, real Land-Rovers, aircraft, BMC motor-cars, tractors ... or medical equipment. In fact, what was once the "Workshop of the World" now hardly makes anything at all.

The best we can hope for these days is for blokes like us to develop the advanced Aralditing skills needed to keep the imported rubbish hanging together long enough for someone to order up a new one. Let's be honest, most of the junk is cheap enough.

But ... about the defibs:- that's why it's best to keep them on "crash" carts! whistle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (mosfet1996, Stargolf, Neil Porter, daisizhou, Neoteny), 459 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz, trat
10,179 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,062
Posts73,727
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020