Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Excercise geoff???.....Thats way too much to ask!
And true, if a patient weighs over 4 kilo (not a typing error) the carers need equipment to assist them.

I can see your old school view on pressure relief but all the nhs, pct's & nursing homes have taken to them like a duck to water...simply because it makes peoples jobs easier.

Anyway's i cant moan too uch about it, afterall pressure relieving mattresses keep me in business.

Cheers,

Hero
Hero
Just as long as they are C.E. marked (that's the main thing)!
Does this mean Chinese Exports ??

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Novice
Novice
To be totally honest, why would you want a replacement cover not from a manufacturer?

Does this not technically "modify" the product and make all liability of using that equipment the NHS's problem.

At least if you use the manufacturers' parts and accessories, and you have a failure.. it lies at there feet if the items are at fault.

I know this will open a big can of worms, but if your trust/hospital own pressure Area care mattresses, surely you have a maintenance budget? Cost should never be an issue when repairing a product.. as doesn't that ultimately effect patient care?

Super Hero
Super Hero

Originally Posted By: Peter H
Cost should never be an issue when repairing a product.. as doesn't that ultimately effect patient care?

Have you ever worked outside the NHS, Peter? frown

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Novice
OP Offline
Novice
Hi Peter,

I can see where you're coming from but the word 'budget' is a very sensitive word within the NHS/PCT right now.
It doesn't bother me if i keep replacing parts with genuine manafacturers parts as i dont put mark-up on my prices when doing a customers repair.

The alternative cover question was asked to me by one of my customers, so i thought what better place to follow it up than on the EBME forum??

Also when you say ' Cost should never be an issue when repairing a product' i can confirm that in reality it is exactly the opposite.
As a sub-contractor working for the NHS i can definitely say that cost is an issue.

Cheers,

Hero
Hero
Quote:
surely you have a maintenance budget?

Yes but generally they are not big enough and you try asking for more money in your budget amidst all these cuts.
RoJo

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Novice
Novice
Originally Posted By: Geoff Hannis

Originally Posted By: Peter H
Cost should never be an issue when repairing a product.. as doesn't that ultimately effect patient care?

Have you ever worked outside the NHS, Peter? frown

Yes Geoff, I was a Senior Field Service Engineer for the company mentioned in this post, for 8 years, so have alot of experience with the products and how much things cost.

Even now I take the attitude that if your gonna fit something do it right with the correct parts. Obviously we ask the client (if doing PCT) if they want us to go ahead.

Parts are expensive, top covers (currently £250ish) from huntleigh,are a small expense when the product is in the region of £4000-5000 to replace.

Novice
Novice
Too add to this, The total care mattress covers from Hillrom are in the same price range. We currently replace the covers, when they become stained or struck through. Initially that was alot of money being spent during the year. We notice a sudden drop in replacement over the last few months before Xmas.

This was due to the ward being made accountable for the cost of replacement.

Super Hero
Super Hero

H'mmm. There must be a moral to that story somewhere. think

How about:- roll on privatisation of the NHS, where the government (taxpayer) still pays, but hospitals are run by O&M contractors?

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Philosopher
Philosopher
Bye Bye Health Service!!

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 587 guests, and 520 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020