Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#57188 12/07/11 11:23 AM
Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
Hi,

How many of you carry out the continuous alarm modification on MS16As? I used to think that it was mandatory but it appears not. We now have both floating around our various hospitals. Mergers eh? It's always the simple things that cause the most trouble.

Personally I think they should have been thrown out years ago but there seems to be no credible alternative. We trialled a few a couple of years ago but the ones we tried were very disappointing.

Hero
Hero
Quote:
Personally I think they should have been thrown out years ago

So does the NPSA.

There is a notice out about replacing pumps that are set up in mm/hr or day (millimeters should not be used and pumps should be set in millilitres).

Have a look athe the Zimed and McKinley pumps Both are good.

RoJo

My spelling is not bad. I am typing this on a Medigenic keyboard and I blame that for all my typos.
Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
The Zimed looks quite natty. I like the idea of it being totally enclosed.
We had some serious issues with the McKinley T34's. We got a lot of occlusion alarms. We played around with the calibration and found problems with the occlusion detector, can't remember the exact details but we came across some other issues and decided not to go ahead with them.

Back to the MS16A, "to mod or not to mod" that is the question?

Super Hero
Super Hero

I'm not familiar with that mod, Bill.

Is it any use?

I guess that your immediate problem is to "make them all the same". So can you not just get away with following the line of least resistance? That is, make them all modded or all un-modded, depending upon the quantities you have of each? smile

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
The original alarm on the MS16A sounded for about 4 seconds then tailed off, the mod was to make the alarm continuous. We modified all our pumps to the continuous alarm. At the time I presumed that it was a safety thing (mandatory). It turns out that Smiths (nee. Graseby) sell the pumps with or without the mod. The problem we have is that prior to the merger of our trusts, the "others" did not carry out the mods, so we have a mixture of versions. We had a situation where we came across a pump that hadn't been modified so we modified it, a few years later the same pump came back to us in the original state. It had been across the city where they reinstated the timeout circuitry to the alarm durng a PPM. It is obvious that we need to decide which way to go which is why I'm canvassing opinion on this. My view is that the continuous alarm should be adopted, after all why bother with an alarm if it just goes away after 4 secs?

By the way we have approx. 350 of the little blighters, it is difficult to say which version is which at the moment.

Last edited by biomedbill; 13/07/11 12:14 PM. Reason: by t he way
Super Hero
Super Hero

As a good friend of mine has been known to say:- "it's always nice when everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet"! whistle

Meanwhile, dare I suggest that this one sounds like a nice little "special task" for an agency tech, Bill.

Philosopher
OP Offline
Philosopher
I don't know about singing from the same hymn sheet, i'd probably be singing castrato if I suggested getting outside help in shocked It is amazing how two departments five miles apart can do so many things differently. I'm sure we'll get there.

Super Hero
Super Hero

Ha, ha. Yes ... very good. Just a couple of octaves, maybe. smile

But "amazing"? Inexplicable more like! whistle

RoJo #57209 13/07/11 8:13 PM
Mentor
Mentor
Originally Posted By: RoJo
Quote:
Personally I think they should have been thrown out years ago

So does the NPSA.

There is a notice out about replacing pumps that are set up in mm/hr or day (millimeters should not be used and pumps should be set in millilitres).

Have a look athe the Zimed and McKinley pumps Both are good.

RoJo

Can I just also mention Micrel pumps as a viable alternative. Try to guess which company sells them! smirk

Technologist
Technologist
Hi, just putting my 2 cents in, but I am surprised you are still allowed to use the MS16's, and where I am they have been removed from service due to their lack of safety features and non compliance with current standards. We replaced them with the ZiMeds, which were so crappy that almost every one in the country was removed from service and replaced with a T34, at massive expence to the original supplier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 449 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,064
Posts73,741
Members10,180
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020