Dreamer
Dreamer
Quote:
Everybody needs an iphone

No I do not,

an app to split a bill fives ways? nope
an app to tell me where I parked the car? nope
an app to tell me what pants to wear? nope

Thankfully I was born with a brain with a considerable capacity turn run various apps and uploading is (still) fairly simple.

I find it quite depressing to see how people are dumbed down and become reliant on these devices to know how to think, act and interact socially.

I have no sat nav either- relying on instincts and map reading ability.

And....I am in the generation that grew up with computers - it's not an 'age thing' wink

Super Hero
Super Hero

That's an interesting take on things, Reg. smile

Myself, I am from the era who grew up before computers were everywhere (that is, well before the IBM PC), but - and unlike many biomeds of my generation - pretty quickly saw the value in them.

However, like you (I guess) I'm by no means an "early adopter". My own philosophy (oft quoted before on this forum) remains:- "take what is good (meaning, useful) and reject the rest"!

For instance, I've not had a TV set for over twenty years. But I admit I would be a bit stuck without the internet now. But on the web, you can roam to wherever you want, whenever it suits you, can you not? And ... what would we do now without tech forums and such ... just like this one in fact!

And what about mobile phones? You can now do things that simply weren't possible before. Like (for instance) as I saw but an hour or so ago, a bloke out in the meadow checking on his horses ... and phoning the vet for on-the-spot advice!

About "dumbing down":- again, as I've probably mentioned before, it's all part of the Master Plan. Making the Plebs dependent (reliant) on the State, and evil [censored] like that. frown

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Super Hero
Super Hero

iPhones may track your location (so what?) ... but at least they usually work (just as long as you have your rubber band handy, that is)! whistle

Just imagine the pressure on the engineers at RIM (at Slough, apparently) yesterday when "the world stopped" for thousands of BlackBerry users.

I can't help wondering whether "certain options" are being explored in order to shut down so-called "social networks" should the need arise (as perceived by the Regime, that is). How about:- a test that went wrong, and in doing so exposing itself and location? think

To my mind, if nothing else stuff like this serves to remind us not to put too much reliance on network technologies. Anything beyond your reach is vulnerable, almost by definition. Always keep your core (essential) data on a stand-alone system somewhere within your own control. That way at least you can carry on working! frown

Meanwhile ... Apples, BlackBerry's ... Orange?

I think I'll have a banana with my cup of T(-Mobile)!

Philosopher
Philosopher
Not sure about your statement Geoff regarding iPhones "but at least they usually work".
It appears that the latest version of iTunes has a glitch, but this is needed to download OS5 for the iPhone. As a result, it can end up wiping all of your OS from the phone (first hand experience).
Could this be a worldwide Blackberry & Apple Crumble!!?

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.
Scholar
Scholar
Originally Posted By: Kawasaki
Could this be a worldwide Blackberry & Apple Crumble!!?

Ba-boom-tish.

Seriously though, do they not test this stuff before putting it out?

Super Hero
Super Hero

Three points there:-

1) The kit (code) is so complex that it's difficult to test each and every possible thread.

2) There is always a tearing rush (or deadline) to get the thing to market.

3) As we know, history is littered with examples of stuff (software, usually) being released too early. Indeed, there was a time when it was almost the norm (you know, let the users find the bugs)!

Meanwhile, the Apple and BlackBerry Crumble pun was widely circulated even before the iOS5 release. It's almost as if folk were willing it to happen!

Myself, I'm wondering if the Great Magician (although sadly no longer around in person) isn't still pulling the strings (having a laugh, whatever) from somewhere in the Great Beyond. whistle

Yet again I advize:- resist any temptation to be an Early Adopter, but rather wait until others have "ironed out the problems" first! Meanwhile, the Psion Series 3A is a mature, reliable and well proven product that I can heartily recommend. You can pick them up off eBay for "pocket money prices"!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Blazingapostle), 72 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Blazingapostle, Volkswagen, Chris_P, Rhomwa, Aziizi
9,891 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,814
Posts72,637
Members9,890
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020