Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Philosopher
Philosopher
Perhaps sprayed? Does anybody remember the Dr Who episode when they were visiting the Face of Bo and they got showered in the lift!

Philosopher
Philosopher
During the summer holidays, the hospital employed (at £7 per hour) a group of university students to stand in the entrance and offer alcohol gel to everyone (including staff) coming in or out of the premises.
Surprise, surprise, the infection rate fell and MRSA cases were zero in August.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.
Super Hero
Super Hero
To my unfashionable, and no doubt old fashioned, way of thinking, it all boils down to discipline, pure and simple. The trouble is, that once highly-regarded characteristic is now totally absent in modern British Society. Or, put in a slightly different way, we get what we deserve! frown

Last edited by Geoff Hannis; 17/10/07 2:39 PM. Reason: Held in great esteem!

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Philosopher
Philosopher
Well said Geoff, I totally agree. Respect (for the rules, regulations and demarcation zones) is also lacking these days.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.
Kawasaki #26248 18/10/07 11:10 AM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Kawasaki
During the summer holidays, the hospital employed (at £7 per hour) a group of university students to stand in the entrance and offer alcohol gel to everyone (including staff) coming in or out of the premises.
Surprise, surprise, the infection rate fell and MRSA cases were zero in August.

I have thought for a while that Trusts would be well advised to employ some Infection Control "Concierges" who encourage (!) all visitors to use alcohol gels etc etc as they enter and leave the building. It must be more cost effective to do this and enjoy the benefits than lose the funds to bedblocking MRSA patients with all the attendant nursing care and resources they swallow up.

I have another gripe too! How many times have you been growled at by the beautiful people in theatres for daring to venture into their ivory tower for a split second without wearing a gown etc, only to see the same oink an hour later in the Spar Shop with the very same gown and mules and very nice "Disney" bandana on that he was wearing in their "sterile bubble" ? I just don't get it. And nurses doing their weekly shop on the way home from work in the uniform they have been wearing all day, shovelling sh*t and the like in? It can't just be me who can see where it is all going wrong surely? The media go nuts over HAI and the public are becoming scared of going into hsopitals yet no one seems to even take an interest in the most basic and yet effective methods of IC. Bewildered am I.

Last edited by Snowler; 18/10/07 11:12 AM.
Snowler #26258 19/10/07 11:49 AM
kit Offline
Scholar
Scholar
Talking about uniforms I hear there is a trial about to start in some UK hospitals where the staff are to be given uniforms woven with silver. Seemingly bacteria including MRSA and C dificile cant survive on silver, so it will be interesting to see if this makes a difference. Maybe this silver lining should also be incorporated into things like BP cuffs, SpO2 probes, ECG cables ect. The link below gives some other info on this silver lining.

http://www.robprince.net/MRSA/forum-products.asp?action=replys&forumID=8919

kit #26272 21/10/07 9:02 PM
BSM Offline
Master
Master
Is this the same lining as that currently fitted as standard to the cirrus, cumulus and stratus range?

grin grin grin

BSM #59460 11/12/11 11:49 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Meanwhile (some years later) the fight continues.

It is always nice when stuff is well designed. Does anyone (from the hospitals mentioned in the piece, perhaps) have any information for us about this?

I notice that "saving money" comes into the equation (or so they say). So that's all the boxes ticked, then. whistle

Whilst I'm on here I may as well reiterate my own suggestions:- turn down the heating by two or three degrees (at least), open the flippin' windows, and get some air into the place.

And then, get rid of all the dust and fluff (and who knows what else) that's laying (or blowing) around ... and if it's "hidden" (inside equipment, for example), then get some proper PM organised.

And, lastly, be a bit more discerning about who gets let onto the Wards, and the grot they bring in with them. Restrict the number of "visitors" cluttered around bedsides, have them remove their outdoor clothing (and get them to wear overshoes), and watch as they wash their grubby pawls before entering. Also (if necessary) check what's in their bags - both before and after visiting!

In a word, manage the situation. frown

But there again, none of of those suggestions would ever be taken up. Why not? Well, they can't be any good as they don't cost mega-amounts of tax-payers' money!

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020