Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Agency techs may have appeared to be on a "higher rate" (than the regular guys) ... but for how long for? A few months, and then what?

As I have mentioned before, accommodation was (and, indeed, remains) the "killer". Whilst the regular guys are (hopefully) more settled.

I'm not too worried about myself (as I only get "odd jobs" these days - if that), but I can see the demise of the traditional agency tech.

Don't forget that such blokes can fulfill a real need. There are many examples of situations where temporary biomeds can come in useful (eg, standing in during absence of a regular tech, brought in to clear a back-log of work ... etc., etc.).

Some blokes have more or less made a career out of it. Some simply like moving around. Others found it a route to gaining experience whilst they looked around a bit. But now the whole thing has become far too complicated, thanks to "government" interference, as usual. frown

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Originally Posted By: Sean Fearon

I think there is some mileage in your proposal, Run by Biomeds, For Biomeds.......

By George, Mr. Hannis! You may have something there!

Perhaps. But I must record, one year on from my original post, that I am still waiting to be overwhelmed by earnest messages from eager accomplices, potential or otherwise.

It seems to me that everyone is "hunkered down", almost scared to make a move, whilst the reality is that the kit itself remains in great quantities, still needing to be fixed, supported ... whatever.

Meanwhile, the Agencies continue to bumble along, lacking any real focus ... perhaps just waiting for the phone to ring. And the "companies" seem to be carrying on with "business as usual", maximising (often gouging away in the time-honoured fashion) their profits in any way they can.

OK, I'm no longer in the loop in many ways, but I haven't heard of anyone coming up with special deals to suit the woeful financial predicament in which the country remains (and is likely to continue to be in for years to come, as far as I can tell). That is ... by dropping their hourly rates.

Surely there must be an opportunity here for a new model:- basic biomedical engineering services at minimal rates? think

As far as I'm concerned personally, the way things are these days, being "semi-retired" could rapidly become "retired" (and, if truth be known, The Path Less Trodden is leading very much in that direction anyway)! smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

I believe that this thread points the way to yet another model for any "New Gang" (see other current threads), especially if we are to consider the "Noble Tech" idea:-

Run by Biomeds, For Biomeds

There is a largely untapped pool of experienced biomed techs "out there" who would most likely be happy to put a few days each week. All it needs (they need) is a bit of organization!

I also believe that "outsourcing" is a cost-effective way for hospital biomed departments to clear the work. And these "part-timers" and/or "short-term contractors" (whatever) are almost always pretty flexible about putting in the hours, working out of normal hours - or indeed anything else that may be required. When considering the way the NHS is operated these days - that is, by a fair number of more-or-less autonomous medium-sized "businesses" (aka Trusts), I believe that using short-term biomeds ("outsourcing") from time to time may well become commonplace.

Slightly off-topic, but in similar vein:- if I was an Equipment Manager (OK - just imagine) thinking about bringing in "a company" to provide biomedical engineering services, I would look for one that can provide the whole package - including training. That narrows it down considerably - in fact only one comes immediately to mind. And in case anyone is wondering, "they" haven't put me up to this comment, and neither do I work for "them". I just like to give credit where it's due.

Just a couple of thoughts to add to the mix, as it were. smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Meanwhile ... how's this for "outsourcing"? whistle

(and I can't help but wonder how much more of it goes on)

A bit difficult for "hands-on" techs to do that, though. smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Meanwhile (again) ... can I have some of this please?

Now, that really would be a "new deal"! whistle

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Those of us who are in the UK will be aware that the issue of "Zero-Hour Contracts" is in the News once again. smile

I shall refrain from commenting on how these may or may not impact on the Employment Figures put out by government spin doctors ... but rather enquire if anyone is aware whether the Zero-Hour Contract is now "popular" amongst the Agency Tech fraternity?

I can imagine that it could be attractive (to all parties) in certain situations; a bit like "Bank Nurses", or for semi-retired local techs who might be happy putting in just a limited number of hours each week (now and then, whatever) ... or even for biomed departments struggling with "budget problems".

Does anyone have any information regarding the current state of play? think

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

OK ... here's a New Deal:- I have decided not to shell out for another year of the Buddies (due in January).

Does anyone want the domain name ... or even buy the site (to improve it, "carry it forward" ... whatever)? think

PM or email should do the trick. smile

Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

"Nothing heard" on that one. frown

So I'll proceed as planned.

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Adept
Adept
Happy New Year Geoff; it will be a pity to see an end of a good idea and site.

Barney

Barney
Super Hero
OP Offline
Super Hero

Actually, I'm not so sure about that, Barney.

The "Buddies" idea (like-minded biomeds of the expat variety sharing information, opportunities and pooling resources) is well passed its sell-by date ... and never took off to any great extent even back in its heyday (which would have been the 1980's). To be honest, I don't recall there being a whole lot of sharing going on even then. frown

That site has been up for ten years now (no wonder it looks so dated); but I can tell you that it has not generated more than a couple of "takers" (if I were to be unkind I would have said "chancers"), and absolutely zilch in the way of what we might call "commercial queries".

In recent times at least, the most useful feature has probably been the contacts* page.

Nowadays, I should imagine that, should they be interested in sharing stuff at all, biomeds of the type mentioned probably rely on LinkedIn and other forms of (instant) "social" media. Good Luck to them. smile

* Best grab those (any of interest) whilst you can, as they'll be gone in a couple of weeks.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 663 guests, and 501 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020