Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Equipment Estimation-Beds to Equipment Ratio
#61949 25/08/12 5:01 PM
OP Offline
Hello everyone,
I am a biomedical executive at one of private hospital in Northern of Malaysia. In the process to hop to other company/hospitals in biomedical industry, i once encounter 1 question from this interviewer regarding equipment management. He asked me how many beds my hospital had and i said, we had 137 beds. Then he asked me the total medical equipment, then i replied 500 ++ are registered and another few hundred were not registered. It seems that he was not satisfied with my answers frown . I know, I'm quite new when it comes to hospital medical equipment management. So, anyone can help me in defining ratio calculating between bed and medical equipment. I'm reallly apreaciate if you can provide some journals or research paper on this matters.

thank you.

Re: Equipment Estimation-Beds to Equipment Ratio
najibudin #61951 26/08/12 4:01 AM
Hero
Hero
I would be dissatisfied as well, why were there a few hundred not registered, all equipment should be registered.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
najibudin #61952 26/08/12 7:13 AM
Super Hero
Super Hero

Welcome to the forum. smile

There are anecdotal relationships - or, if you like, "rules of thumb" - between the number of beds in a typical hospital and the amount of medical equipment scattered around the place. Crude figures like that are sometimes used for initial planning purposes. But I would suggest that to think in such terms could lead to missing the point!

As I have mentioned on here a few times before:-

"Patients are cared for by nurses, not beds"! whistle

And Neil's comment is spot on. This is one of the "basics" of biomedical engineering. How can you begin to manage and maintain the equipment you are responsible for if you don't have an accurate idea of what those are. In short, you need a list of the kit you are to maintain. You have to survey your patch. It's the first step. Job No.1. Only then can you move on to organizing the work in an efficient manner, carrying out properly conducted PM ... and all such good stuff as that.

So ... take my tip:- forget about "number of beds". At best that just gives an overall idea of the size of the hospital. Concentrate instead upon the total inventory of equipment, and ask yourself how you are going to maintain each item. Think in terms of man-hours, and do you have enough techs. And yes (before you ask), there are also empirical rules of thumb about the number of techs required to maintain this or that amounts of kit (equipment). But you may as well ignore those, as (in my experience) you will never have too many biomed technicians available to apply to the task. frown

Maybe your interviewer just wasn't that smart. What s/he should have been asking was something along the the lines of:-

1) How many items do you have on inventory?
2) Do you maintain all those items in-house?
3) Which equipment (if any) do you have on service contract?
4) How many items are down (out of order) at this time?
5) How long have they been out of order?
6) How many items are awaiting parts?
7) Do you have manuals for all items?
8) Do you have all the tools and test equipment you need?
9) Are you up to date with your PM schedule?
10) Are your equipment histories in place and up to date?
11) How do you maintain good relations with the user staff?

... and stuff like that. smile

But ... "biomedical executive"? That's a new one for me. think

najibudin #61953 26/08/12 10:13 AM
Master
Master
Please remember as well that beds are also medical equipment and should be maintained as such, and not used as a marker on how many items of medical equipment you think you need. wink

There are things that are known and there are things that are unknown. In-between there are doors.
najibudin #62107 20/09/12 10:22 AM
Expert
Expert
Hi all
1 item an aneroid Sphg checked twice a year in house
2 item an anaesthetic machine twice a year in house
3 a modern nurse call checked one a year in house
4 TV satellite distribution system checked when breaks down

We are all different and all have differences from dept to area to size. The only advice I can offer is something I tell all my staff when they start, " would you be happy for your loved ones to be dependent on the equipment" if the answer is yes sleep well. If not it may kill you trying to get a yes.

If you an executive go down to the shop floor have an informal chat and ask the guys on the ground what they think. you can ignore it. not believe it or you can act on it but you won't be able to say you don't know.

Last edited by leonius; 20/09/12 10:24 AM.

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mohamad, Huw, Angus), 491 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mohamad, RUH Bath, Luciano ACI, hectorja, by3xxx
9744 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics10,641
Posts71,926
Members9,744
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020