Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Huw Online Content
Hero
Online Content
Hero
I had some of the best years of my life working in the Middle East. I made many very good friends from all walks of life and countries of the world.

It completely changed my outlook on life and people.

Obviously, being there also puts you in a completely different geographical location which opens up new avenues for travel.

I miss the place, the work, the food, the people, the sun...

It was an amazing experience. smile

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Come on, you Old Sweats (I see that some of you are - or have been - visiting the forum) ... how about a few more (brief) words of advice to encourage Robert! smile

I know that some of you are retired now, after all.

Hero
Online Happy
Hero
Hope you are not calling me an 'old sweat' still enjoying my time here, the sun shines a lot.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Savant
Savant
Depending on where you are based, much of the Middle East can feel quite restrictive for the Westerner, but it’s still possible to have an enjoyable time, depending on where you’re based.

Have friends currently in Qatar, and they seem to enjoy the almost European social life on offer. However, if you want to getter a better feel of the region Saudi is the place. Most of my Middle East experience was in Saudi during the boom years. I would recommend Jeddah for its overall lifestyle, Al Khobar for its relatively laid back attitude and proximity to the causeway and Bahrain. Also Khamis Mushayt in the South West. Best years of my life there back in the 80’s, I’m sure it’s changed a tad since then! Places where I wouldn’t return are Riyadh and Buraidah, there again its probably more due to bad contracts that I had to endure.

The opportunity of taking on much more job responsibility than the UK exists. OK, sometimes it can be a little frustrating trying to get things done, but as one Saudi pointed out to me “Westerners come here to teach us technology, In turn, we teach them patience”

There are many do’s and don’ts, for instance, don’t partake in too much partying and try to keep on the right side of the law. The police are not as accommodating as those in the west. If you don’t get paid after a month get out, don’t rely on the agent back in UK sorting it out. Otherwise, the area is highly recommended, so go ahead and take the opportunity with both hands.

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Nice one, Angus! Especially the bit about patience. smile

In fact it's made me feel all nostalgic. The best years of my life were spent in the Asir Region (that is, the mountains in the South West) of Saudi Arabia. But I bet that Najran (for example) is a bit more "lively" these days ... with more modern firearms, at least.

Interesting that you mentioned the "entertainment" side of things. Not everyone needs "the Western lifestyle" (not me, for sure). I even enjoyed my stint up in Onaiza (being the only Westerner in town, and all that). Now, where's my thobe and gutrah ... LOL!

Your advice about getting paid should definitely be heeded. But, having said that, I once went 18 months without receiving a single halalah. In fact, things got so bad that I couldn't afford a ticket out even if had wanted one. But don't worry (Robert) - that was a case of "special circumstances", based on trust etc., etc. - and shouldn't arise when working for a properly organised company (rather than for a khafeel - a single individual - as I was at that time). BTW:- that "happy experience" was in Al-Khobar, Angus. I figured I was still better off hanging-in there than coming back to the U.K. (and I was right).

And just to reinforce what you're saying:- always make a point of being "best mates" with the local *police (militia, or whatever else passes for Law Enforcement where you happen to be). They won't be what you might call "sophisticated", so a little flattery generally works very well.

But yes - as previously stated - Robert should "just go for it". But Doha is a bit different from Al-Namas or [insert your favourite Saudi desert town here], or for that matter, Tripoli in Libya!

Stay safe, Angus. Peace. smile

* Something that I always try to do in the U.K. these days, as well.

Savant
Savant
Geoff, longest I ever went without pay was 10 months during my days at King Hussein Hospital in Amman. This was post IAL and I was working directly for the military as a consultant. Seems they never had a western civvie on their books before, so nobody had a clue who should be paying me. I resorted in bypassing everyone and taking my problem directly to the General of the facility. He screamed over the phone at a few officers and hey presto the problem was sorted.

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Quite right too! smile

I was there briefly (wasn't everyone?) in early 1985.

Apart from narrowly escaping an early demise from "flash-over" of an x-ray system HT cable ... my main claim to fame was that I got to work on King Hussein's dental chair! whistle

That was where I met Big Tony for the first time, too, I should add.

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

=== WARNING === Nostalgia Alert!

One of the things I used to enjoy about working in the desert "back then" was the need to fall back on your own resources, and (more often than not) having to figure things out from "first principles".

Of course, all that will have changed now, what with the internet, smart phones ... and indeed, phones! frown

I recall a discussion I had with a guy on the subject of "ampacity". I thought at the time that he was talking BS (and told him so) - he was, after all, an Electrical Engineer with a Masters Degree from the University of Cairo!

If I remember rightly, we were investigating why breakers were "nuisance tripping" at a generator control panel (or some such thing). I reckoned what he was really talking about was "current rating". But, having now (some fifteen years later) checked on the Wiki (which we both love so much, Robert) - well, it seems that we were both right after all!

Engineer Fouad - where are you now? It seems that I owe you a chai after all! whistle

So there you are, Robert ... things are (and will be) so much easier for you these days.

Meanwhile, for the serious (or, perhaps, mature) student, here's a bit more about the mysterious "ampacity". smile

Master
Master
Check the Visa, Travel and relocation cost and then ask to see the cointract and what is foffered as eeven when signed this could be misleading. Last of all ask for a pre visit as i did this when i was in Auh and stay for 2 weeks to see (what are the expectations)!.
If it is real and they hold to their word good luck and if its the new hospital in Doha go for it as this will be 5 years of 'setting up' and then retire and buy a boat!
Good Luck.
PAul

ERRATIC MEANS STATIC SO BE ERRATIC AND NOT STATIC
WE ARE ALL IN THE NHS AND THIS IS
"ERRATIC AND STATIC"
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Or better still - buy your boat and retire now! whistle

There was an ex-REME guy who was the "first expat biomed" in Qatar. I know his name (as a few others must), but won't mention it here.

The story was that his yacht was paid for by a well-known German manufacturer of x-ray equipment.

Those were the days (late 1970's)! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
7 members (Geoff Hannis, mosfet1996, Yousri, Neil Porter, carl ray, Huw, 1 invisible), 609 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,063
Posts73,728
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020