Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Segs Offline OP
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Hi All,

I don't suppose anyone on here would have any Biomed contact details for South East Asia (preferably E-mail addresses where possible)?

For that matter, any contact details at all, Procurement, EBME, Management?

I have read up a lot regarding Bangkok Dusit Medical Services - however contact details are rather vague.

I am set to go travelling for 6 months as of the 1st October and I intend on visiting hospitals whilst I'm away. I would like to get 'a feel' of the different working environments, look at the equipment used and consider the differing policies that are adhered to....or not as the case may be.

Any information would be great.

Thanks,

P.S I'm travelling to Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Southern China (....and Australia at some point).

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

It's a nice idea. smile

But won't you be able to squeeze in visits to Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines (not to mention Hong Kong and Singapore) as well? think

We have forum members in many of those places, of course.

Another way is to just go ... and "wing it" (off the cuff) once you get to those places and have a wander around.

As an aside, I would be interested in what jabs you've been advised to have, and any problems you may have encountered (or expect to encounter) in getting them done.

Segs Offline OP
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Hong Kong and Singapore look lovely...albeit rather expensive. The Philippines however, look both beautiful and affordable.

I am very open to ideas, the only visa I have ordered in advance is the Vietnamese, word of mouth is that it is difficult to obtain at short notice, and whilst away from your home country.

Although I've given an itinerary, it is a very rough itinerary and I'm open to any ideas/suggestions (as far as my fund will take me).

As far as jabs go I've had yellow fever, typhoid, Hep A and Hep B (Hep B through work a few years ago. Additionally, I've also opted to have the Rabies and Japanese Encephalitis jabs.

Obviously Malaria tablets are required, but I'm not paying UK prices, I'll be picking them up once I'm in Asia. Doxycycline is my drug of choice due to the regions I'm travelling and the balance between cost and side-effects.

I'm really interested to explore healthcare across South East Asia.

Thanks, Geoff

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Ah yes ... funds. Well, there's the rub. frown

But you can still make your dollars stretch a long way if you don't mind going a bit bush ... tucking into whatever it is the locals are eating, and so forth.

And, if you're feeling really adventurous:- dossing down in back-street hotels (guest houses, whatever). Just as long as you're careful; else you might end up finding out more about the local healthcare scene than you were really planning to! whistle

If you are concerned about visas, you might want to check out the situation regarding Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar as well.

Segs Offline OP
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Cambodia and Laos are relatively laid back in terms of visa requirements, rock up, pay 20-30USD and enjoy your trip smile Myanmar a little more tricky, but the visa can be applied for in Thailand, much the same scenario with China by all accounts.

I very much intend to eat local food, drink the local beer and live in hostels/guest houses, it's the best way to meet people.

I think the purchase of a motorbike maybe necessary for Vietnam, the whole Vientam Top Gear special was pretty inspirational laugh

Hero
Hero
For Myanmar, you can pay at the border. Done it a few times without any hassle.

If you think hiring professionals is expensive, try hiring amateurs!
Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

On your motorbike, Neil? think

Segs Offline OP
Dreamer
OP Offline
Dreamer
Brill, on the border it'll be. Winging it is the desirable option.

A shame that there's not a sustainable way to continue with my travels, in terms of finance of course??

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

Who's to say there won't be? think

It all depends upon your personal income goals, mind-set, life-style ... and ability to reduce expenditure to what you actually need.

That is, chill out ... and then begin to distinguish between wants and (actual) needs. Concentrate on what really matters, and disregard (reject) the rest.

Hopefully, whilst out in the Far East you will notice that alternatives to the "Western" lifestyle are available. If you open up your mind (and even your heart, and - if necessary - your wallet) you will encounter situations that will change your outlook on life (and indeed, your life itself) forever.

For instance, you will no doubt observe that the biomeds (and indeed, all "hands-on" tradesmen) "out there" will often demonstrate amazing practical skills of the type rarely seen these days in the West. Making do with less (often doing more with less) and multi-skilled; invariably with great dexterity and good old-fashioned nous.

I invite others who have worked with biomeds from S.E.Asia to comment on my assertion that many of those guys were (are) the best techs I have ever worked with. And I'm talking "practical" here, not "theory", "politics", knowledge of the rule-book, or any other BS. smile

Super Hero
Online Content
Super Hero

By the way, I would think again about your anti-malaria precautions.

There's nothing wrong with carrying doxycycline with you, but I would also start taking your daily Paludrine* a couple of weeks before travelling.

My understanding (?) is that doxycycline is an anti-biotic (and therefore probably best keep in reserve, as it were), whilst Paludrine (proguanil) is a prophylactic (preventive drug) in that it stops the parasites reproducing.

Best seek professional advice on that one. smile

Or, failing that (and-or for a "second opinion") - Google! LOL

Has anyone had any recent experience of this stuff? think

* Probably still the cheapest and most widely available option, I should imagine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (daisizhou, Stargolf, Geoff Hannis, mosfet1996, 1 invisible), 509 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Yousri, mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz
10,180 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,063
Posts73,728
Members10,179
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020