Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Master
OP Offline
Master
The auto-display (into the relevant section) firstly looks for prefixes then if its not successful it looks at the filename to see if it has any magic words:-

"OPERATOR", "OPERATORS", "USER", "OPERATING" = Operators manual
"SERVICE", "MAINTENANCE", "REPAIR", "TECHNICAL" = Service Manual
"INFO" = Information
"SPARES", "PARTS" = Parts
"RESULTS", "TEST SHEET" = Results
"OTHER" = Other
"ID" = Special code for model number which will open up opportunities to work across multiple database systems without having to rename all your folder structures wink also possible a reverse renaming system to look for problems (all future stuff)

If its not successful then it starts looking at the contents of the filenames to see if it can categorise by filename instead.

contains "OPERATOR","USER" = Operator manuals
Contains "SERVICE","MAINTENANCE","REPAIR" = Service manuals

--------------------------------------------------------

Search facilities, not thought about searching hard drives but that's a good point! (might be difficult to do non matching really fuzzy searching though) but its worth a go.

--------------------------------------------------------

I've been rehashing the file names to the above, so it might be slightly better than the version you have.

Ps, thanks Geoff it's been informative feedback!

Last edited by Joe Emmerson; 01/09/13 12:29 PM.
Super Hero
Super Hero

It would be nice to have all those recognitions (file extension associations, file names and what-have-you) in the .config file, I reckon. That way, any "power user" could play away to their heart's content. Differences in terminology for non-English language users comes to mind.

By the way, Joe, I thought I might have been able to trick the system into searching my C:\ drive (for example) by simply playing about with the "rootURL" setting in the .config file. But no such luck. frown

But at least I'm now aware of JIT (just-in-time) debugging messages! LOL.

Another thing that you might like to look at is returning to the last equipment page used each time the system is (re)started. Not sure how you would go about such a "feature", but I'll leave that to you!

Also, an option to permit single-clicking on an icon (object) to open it would be nice (for me, at least).

But I must say that, the more I have played, the more I like what you have done. There's a great deal of potential there!

Oh well, one more cup of tea, then I really must get on with "other projects". Ciao! smile

Master
OP Offline
Master
Geoff, use the menu to set the options [Configure] --> [Settings]

You can browse for your default paths there (shouldnt need to edit the .config file)

Last edited by Joe Emmerson; 01/09/13 10:26 PM.
Super Hero
Super Hero

Yes. I've already noticed what happens when you go to Configure -> Settings and change the Service Manual Folder entry to simply C:\ whistle ... how to deal with that one?

What I was getting at earlier was a way - a "button", maybe on the Document Search form - to search for (and gather) documents on the current drive (etc.).

As you know, at present "Search Via This Form" expects a URL in the "Bing Root Url" field.

I was wondering if something like file:///c:/ might do the trick, but the system declares that it is still hoping for a "well formed http URL". frown

Master
OP Offline
Master
Sorry for the delay, was trying to make the ADD MANUAL feature quite clever (which made it harder)

I'm getting there! (right click and select view image for a larger screen view)

Recently added:
- Recognise device from the source folder (different modes available, see screenshot)
- View file before attaching to your library
- Set manual revision during attachment
- Auto-Rename the manual (clean filename etc)
- Delete original after transfer
- Grab the creation date from the PDF document properties into the version number
- Auto suggest a file type (service manual, user manual) based on the source file/file location.
- OK and ADD Another feature to enable larger imports

Wow 1400 hits already, imagine that at £10 a go! I'm in the wrong job

Last edited by Joe Emmerson; 05/09/13 7:03 PM.
Super Hero
Super Hero

Ah yes; mission - or feature - creep (and believe me; I know it when I see it). whistle

You might need to think about "pruning" (and simplifying) once you get done ... unless you plan to spend many happy hours writing up your Help file!

Meanwhile, you're only in the wrong job if you see yourself in competition with the likes of Steve Ballmer, Joe.

No-one I have ever come across has got Mega-rich "biomeding" (not in the financial sense, anyway) ... and even less so amongst the sub-group willing to donate their work into the Public Domain, as it were. frown

On the other hand, I am constantly amazed (almost daily, in fact) by stuff that gets published on the web by "others" (non-biomeds in the main - generally "electronics", "retro computer" and/or coding types - but Genius Guys nevertheless).

Keep up the good work, Mate. smile

Master
OP Offline
Master
Hi Geoff, I've just emailed Pathfinder v1.0a to you.

Hopefully it wont completely crash (who knows). I've only tested it on a development machine so far.

-= Added =-
* Add Tab and Cursor movement with highlights between panels, Enter key to activate selected item
* Set Models OR Equipment types to Active/inactive so you can have large archives of manuals but only show the ones you have in your areas.
* Addition of ID number against the equipment model - to enable you to link with other databases (Saves ID_xxxxxx.txt in the folder)
* Addition of Revision number against the service manual (for later exporting)

-= High Priority (Pre-Release) =-
* Supply Default folder structures to get started (might also encourage some domination standard!)
* Link the listview ADD screen to the listbox ADD screen

-= Med Priority (Pre or Post Release) =-
* Revisit the internet search screen to clone functionalty from the 'ADD Screen'
* (ISO QMS): Option to automatically archive your old service manual if you add a new version (ISO QMS), adding in the revision/date of the manual
* Search for company address by equipment type/model
* (ISO QMS): Email to company stating current version of service manual and equipment type/model to see if this is the latest revision
* Automatic generation of a summary Excel document with hyperlinks to your manuals, revision number, equipment type, model, Equiment Model ID

-= Low Priority (Post Release =-
* Edit/Define the classification paramaters
* Consider Adding Company Field between Equipment Type and Equipment Model
* Add a search facility to search local hard drives for matches

Super Hero
Super Hero

Put in a couple of "all-nighters" then, Joe? think

I've just downloaded it, Mate ... but I'm away from my main machine(s) at the moment.

I'll take a look later and report back on here. smile

Meanwhile ... I awoke during the night thinking about the "IVAC ... Alaris ... Cardinal ... CareFusion" problem (aka the "Dinamap" problem*) - you know, the way you do. LOL

Through the grog of sleep deprivation my only suggestion there would be some sort of look-up table (database) to enforce the "domination". OK, one track mind, (sad) I know.

Or, failing that, suitable links from "bogus" directory folders (images, whatever) to the "preferred" ones!

* Which has been mentioned on here so many times before!

What should we call it:- "traditional naming"? "customary terminology"? "native lingo"?

Philosopher
Philosopher
Hi Joe, thanks for sending me the base programme to have a play with. I'm not a programmer (at any level) so I can't involve myself in the detail but I have to say I think the concept and base function is great. Seems well structured and above all the ease of use is of a high level. Even a gimp like me could find my way about smirk

Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing things develop (but be careful that it does not consume your life, people who can't "finish" a project must be very unhappy folk indeed. Get it to a point where you have achieved what you set out to do and then STOP).

Thoughts and information provided on this forum are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the policy of NSW Health. They may also be complete bollocks!!
Super Hero
Super Hero

I agree, Dave. smile

Coding does tend to take over. I *know quite a few good guys (and they generally are blokes) like that.

Some projects need to be developed as time passes, but some smaller, neater, apps shouldn't need to consume a bloke's life if the program "does it right" (does what it is meant to do, and does it neatly and well) in the first place.

Otherwise, the "answer", perhaps, is to develop in small "chunks". Especially for larger applications. The downside with that approach, however, is you end up issuing endless revisions (v23.01.1a beta?), which (quite rightly) tends to p**s off the users! whistle

There have been many cases in "computer history" where what started out as a good little program ended up being "developed" into bloatware (not to mention obscurity). It's the old "version 3" syndrome; meaning (briefly) that it takes three revision cycles to get it tweaked to "perfection" - but anything after version 3 is likely to suffer from feature overload. frown

Like everything else in life (or, in my own case, what passes for life), it's all a question of balance!

In passing ... how many exciting new projects have been announced on here in the past? And how many have stayed the course? (or maybe they are still under development) frown

But I'm aware that Joe has been beavering away on this one for "quite a while", and so - happily - it is almost ready just as it is. smile

* But when I say "know" - I mean via the web, of course. I don't get out much these days! LOL (and what would be the point, afer all?)

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (daisizhou), 435 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MDevins, EmsR16, Fergusben1, Guilherme Gomes, Salvatore
10,173 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,055
Posts73,707
Members10,173
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020