Home Articles Downloads Forum Products Services EBME Expo Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Super Hero
Super Hero

That's why you need a Technical Services Director ... to crack the whip! whistle

If you don't inspect ... don't expect.
Master
OP Offline
Master
The whole concern/issue I have with not having a well planned and resourced strategy is that there will be potentially dangerous divergence of standards/control.

Just because we can connect a device or Integrate its data, it doesn't necessarily mean we should.

There are a good few articles out there with respect to hacking of networks (including medical equipment). People hacking or modifying data, then there's the whole minefield of patient confidentiality.

IT would have to take care of all of the above under the guidance of iso 80001-1

At this moment, I'm feeling that although the potential is out there, the risks of going it alone as an organisation without payment/sign off by the OEM would be a dangerous game.

Last edited by Joe Emmerson; 07/09/14 1:22 PM.
Savant
Savant
Joe,
Then I would suggest to keep the medical device network separate from the Main hospital network.

Keep a separate server, switches and router independent from the rest of the hospital network. This is how we managed in our OR and ICU departments. The Server then would have proper security to send and receive data from HIS/EMR/RIS systems.

But again you need to think with an overall strategy as to what you want to achieve and what your objectives are. Device interoperability, integration and interface is every changing.

Hence your upper management need to bring the IT and Biomed department to work together. Leave the egos behind and work as a team.

Not all devices are network capable, some will be using CAN, Serial DB-9 communication protocols etc and some proprietary communication protocols which is another hurdle you have to deal with.

Cheers
Tim

Master
Master
We have been successful and have an integrated plan and are interfacing happily to crs through hl7 and can I help?.. Pm me

ERRATIC MEANS STATIC SO BE ERRATIC AND NOT STATIC
WE ARE ALL IN THE NHS AND THIS IS
"ERRATIC AND STATIC"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DaveC in Oz, RoJo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (mosfet1996, Stargolf, KostasIatri), 408 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mosfet1996, rajvenugopal, Arzo Momand, steve_shomz, trat
10,179 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums25
Topics11,062
Posts73,727
Members10,178
Most Online5,980
Jan 29th, 2020